Follow-up Question re: Damper Block-Off Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daninohio

Jun 3, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
You may remember my questions about the Jotul insert last week.

To recap, when I asked about the liner, the dealer said it was uninsulated 316 and that he just used a top plate to seal the system.

You all heartily recommended using a damper block-off plate down below as well.

I stopped back in their shop today to ask if there would be any problem installing a damper block-off plate and how much that would cost. They said it would be no problem and would probably cost about $45 or so. As we talked about it though, he mentioned this time that they include insulation down below around the damper -- so he said the function of the damper plate is covered by the insulation. I don't know what exact type of insulation they use.

So my question is whether I need to insist on a damper block-off plate or if the insulation is sufficient?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Edited.... You should insist that the metal block off plate be used. It is the best method and is the method outlined in NFPA211. I apologize if the previous post was interpreted to advocate insulation block off plates.

daninohio said:
You may remember my questions about the Jotul insert last week.

To recap, when I asked about the liner, the dealer said it was uninsulated 316 and that he just used a top plate to seal the system.

You all heartily recommended using a damper block-off plate down below as well.

I stopped back in their shop today to ask if there would be any problem installing a damper block-off plate and how much that would cost. They said it would be no problem and would probably cost about $45 or so. As we talked about it though, he mentioned this time that they include insulation down below around the damper -- so he said the function of the damper plate is covered by the insulation. I don't know what exact type of insulation they use.

So my question is whether I need to insist on a damper block-off plate or if the insulation is sufficient?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Although the insulation may partially do the job, keep this in mind:

1. Insulation is not designed to stop air flow, just heat.
2. Most insulation releases fibers on a constant basis unless closed in.

#2 might be fine if you have an insert, but if it is a stove you are best with a metal plate as close as possible to the level plane about 2" up from the bottom of the lintel that hold the front bricks up.

See this article

Status
Not open for further replies.