Follow-up Question re: Damper Block-Off Plate

daninohio Posted By daninohio, Jun 16, 2006 at 8:43 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daninohio

    New Member 2.

    Jun 3, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    You may remember my questions about the Jotul insert last week.

    To recap, when I asked about the liner, the dealer said it was uninsulated 316 and that he just used a top plate to seal the system.

    You all heartily recommended using a damper block-off plate down below as well.

    I stopped back in their shop today to ask if there would be any problem installing a damper block-off plate and how much that would cost. They said it would be no problem and would probably cost about $45 or so. As we talked about it though, he mentioned this time that they include insulation down below around the damper -- so he said the function of the damper plate is covered by the insulation. I don't know what exact type of insulation they use.

    So my question is whether I need to insist on a damper block-off plate or if the insulation is sufficient?

    Many thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Shane

    Minister of Fire 2.

    Nov 21, 2005
    Casper Wyoming
    Edited.... You should insist that the metal block off plate be used. It is the best method and is the method outlined in NFPA211. I apologize if the previous post was interpreted to advocate insulation block off plates.
  3. webbie

    Seasoned Moderator 2.

    Nov 17, 2005
    Western Mass.
    Although the insulation may partially do the job, keep this in mind:

    1. Insulation is not designed to stop air flow, just heat.
    2. Most insulation releases fibers on a constant basis unless closed in.

    #2 might be fine if you have an insert, but if it is a stove you are best with a metal plate as close as possible to the level plane about 2" up from the bottom of the lintel that hold the front bricks up.

    See this article
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page