Fooling Nest thermo into using heat pump control for conventional furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbrendel

Jan 10, 2022
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Wondering if anyone would have some insight on how to fool my nest thermostat into thinking that I have a heat pump system instead of a conventional furnace to take advantage of the emergency heat function of the thermostat. I currently have my outdoor wood boiler as my 1st stage of heat and forced air lp as the second stage. The problem with this is that the nest only allows a 3 degree delta before kicking in the second stage. So when I have the temp come back up in the morning, going from 64-69 degrees, it automatically kicks in the lp. I would try the W3 terminal, because the temp delta is 7 degrees, but the thermostat requires that the W2 terminal is used in conjunction with that. Plus after a certain amount of time it will kick those other stages in anyways. I would like to have the extra control that the emergency heat function offers. Currently I have the thermostat wired

Thermostat Furnace

Y1 Y
G G
Rh R
W1 G
W2/AUX W
C C

Not sure if there is a way to take advantage of using the O/B terminal with a relay in some way to trick the thermostat into thinking this is a heat pump and not a conventional furnace. There is a spare conductor that could be utilized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The nest doesn’t have a setting to tell it what type of heater is hooked up? I have been thinking about adding a manual cut off switch to my second stage. Are you partial to the nest? Now days it’s comfort above all else. You just run a second thermostat. Not elegant but you could set the temp for the LP how ever lower you wanted.