Footprint of Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ted E. Bear said:
Ah, great! Looks like you've solved your problem. I really like the color variation of the natural stone. Try and take pictures during the project and post them when you are done. I would love to see how it comes out.

-Todd

PS - Thanks for the compliments on my hearth pad but I can't take any of the credit. The saleswoman at RI Tile (Cindy) had the idea for the double border, diagonal tile and the use of a stone chair rail in the place of a wooden border. What customer service! All I had to do was install it. I love finding little gem business like these as there seems to be fewer and fewer of them around these days.

Yeah, I like those stone chair rail pieces too. I thought of doing something like that, but I was trying to keep costs down ($3500 for the stove & piping hurts bad enough), and I was afraid of them getting broken off by my kids. Very nice look, though. I'm still tempted to do it.

By the way, what was the blue material you laid the tiles on. I was just using standard durock cement board as suggested in the article on woodstock's site.

I will try to document the process as you suggest, Todd.

dreezon said:
Hmm... Dennis, I assume your tiles were 12 inches, and you obviously had a centered joint, but it looks like your feet landed well inside the joints. Am I right?

Also, looking at your stone, it appears you may have gotten some with a lot of green marbling? I'm awaiting a sample of that stuff right now. Can't wait to finalize the order. I'm going with a custom dark brown paint (called leather) on the iron, and I think the green marbled stone would make it look even better.

I know this is a little of topic.
We went with the custom green color for the castings. It really works with the green marbling in the stone. We also went to the factory and selected the stones that worked best with our castings. I guess the factory is little out of the way for you.
These pictures were taken at the factory.

DSC05432.jpg

DSC05583.jpg

Flatbedford said:
dreezon said:
Hmm... Dennis, I assume your tiles were 12 inches, and you obviously had a centered joint, but it looks like your feet landed well inside the joints. Am I right?

Also, looking at your stone, it appears you may have gotten some with a lot of green marbling? I'm awaiting a sample of that stuff right now. Can't wait to finalize the order. I'm going with a custom dark brown paint (called leather) on the iron, and I think the green marbled stone would make it look even better.

I know this is a little of topic.
We went with the custom green color for the castings. It really works with the green marbling in the stone. We also went to the factory and selected the stones that worked best with our castings. I guess the factory is little out of the way for you.
These pictures were taken at the factory.

DSC05432.jpg

DSC05583.jpg

Thanks for the pics, and the thoughts. I got those samples on Saturday, and we're going with a custom dark brown on the castings, called "leather." I would have loved to go to the factory and pick out my stone, but they let me specify a preference. I asked for a lot of green veining. Finalized the order today, so needless to say, I'm pumped.

What ever color you go with, you can be sure that you are buying a high quality product with super customer service behind it.

If you get the pipes painted to match (or even if you don't) - don't forget to get a can of matching paint from them to save on shipping it later. I ended up needing one to paint the thimble and around a couple other areas (as well as screw heads)... it's all in the details of course. I ended up paying shipping on the can of paint separate from the stove - heck I should have picked it up when I was there but I just didn't think of it. I think I'll be glad to have it as time goes on in case I have to touch up anything later.. I bet I'll scratch up the pipes when I go to clean them etc.

Slow1 said:
If you get the pipes painted to match (or even if you don't) - don't forget to get a can of matching paint from them to save on shipping it later. I ended up needing one to paint the thimble and around a couple other areas (as well as screw heads)... it's all in the details of course. I ended up paying shipping on the can of paint separate from the stove - heck I should have picked it up when I was there but I just didn't think of it. I think I'll be glad to have it as time goes on in case I have to touch up anything later.. I bet I'll scratch up the pipes when I go to clean them etc.

What he said!!

After countless hours of research into this stove and almost every alternative, I'm convinced you're right. It's hard to find anything that gets the consistently stellar reviews for quality and service Woodstock does and also offers their incredible combination of even heat distribution, low wood consumption, long burn times, functional reliability and aesthetic beauty. On top of it all, they are just very decent people. Their standard colors all cost the same as black (rare), and even if you want a custom color, it's only $75 more. Anyone else would want to charge you $200 or $300 at least. And of course, they charge nothing extra for you to specify the coloring and characteristics of your soapstone. Part of me would have liked to go with an insert for the simplicity (no hearth pad) and for the sake of living room space, but from what I read, none of them burns as long on as little wood as a Woodstock soapstone stove. That's big when you live on a smallish city lot and have to scrounge firewood wherever you can.

Can't wait till mid October.

Wow, what a difference that made. It looked great before but I think cutting those corners off adds a nice bit of detail to it and makes it a more pleasing to the eye.

Good point regarding the chair rail. I guess time will tell if they hold up or not.

I agree with the others regarding the can of paint. You'll end up needing it for something and the separate shipping cost is almost as much as the damn can.

-Todd

Ted E. Bear said:
Wow, what a difference that made. It looked great before but I think cutting those corners off adds a nice bit of detail to it and makes it a more pleasing to the eye.

Good point regarding the chair rail. I guess time will tell if they hold up or not.

I agree with the others regarding the can of paint. You'll end up needing it for something and the separate shipping cost is almost as much as the damn can.

-Todd

Thanks for the comments. The chair rail still is very tasteful, though. Might be worth the risk. You can always repair it.

Regarding the spray paint, I was fortunate that Lorin Day at Woodstock had the foresight to ask me if I wanted that added to my order.

The other advantage to removing the corners is that I have less to walk around when entering the living room area.

dreezon said:
The other advantage to removing the corners is that I have less to walk around when entering the living room area.

And when you stub your toe it won't hurt quite as bad :) At least that is what I keep telling myself.

And, if you gouge your toe on a corner, it will be a relatively dull 45º, rather than 90º ; )

Slow1, Is your fireview metallic blue or charcoal colored?

Please post more pics!!!!!

Thanks,

Kenny<>{

[quote author="akennyd" date="1253211703"]Slow1, Is your fireview metallic blue or charcoal colored?

Please post more pics!!!!!

I think it is a custom color. I purchased a Fireview in metallic blue and it is a lot darker. Very dark blue. I just finished lying down the hearth pad and in a couple of weeks I will get the stove installed. Of course I'll post a couple of pics. I always choose what I want before I go to buy it. I don't want to be sold anything but when I got to the woodstock factory, the color looked a lot different than the one in the brochure and online. It looked less blue and more blackish. I almost went with charcoal but I'm hoping that my blue carpet will bring out the blue in the stove.

It is the metallic blue - not custom. However as always, the lighting and camera flash make all sorts of changes in the way that the colors appear.

I posted some other pictures in another thread but I don't know if the colors show any better there either. I'll see what I can do to get some color balanced shots posted but that will take a while. It is interesting though how the colors do look different depending on the install - it does look different than when we picked it out but I know it is the same since I have the pipes to match and I painted the thimble and one part of the piping myself and they all match.

Thanks Slow1,

Yes, I've seen your other posts and the stoves looks black or charcoal from a distance but in your up-close shots I see the blue tint.

I think the wife and I are going to go with charcoal. But I've considered just about all of the colors....decisions, decisions, decisions....

Nice looking stove, anyway!!!

Kenny <>{

Frankly I was glad my wife was there with me at the factory to pick out the color. They all looked beautiful to me and I figure that any of them would have looked 'right' in our house once put on a reasonably matching pad and being there for a month or two. Then again, I leave all those design decisions to her - I just make sure it works :). The most beautiful thing to me is the fire and heat anyway...

Slow1,

How does it look in person to you? More black or more blue? That's what counts anyway. It is very hard to judge colors from computer generated images.

Blue was probably my least favorite from the pictures I've seen on the Woodstock page and their flickr' accounts but I really like how it looks in the pictures you have posted in this thread.

Kenny<>{

You know, when I think of "blue" I think of a much brighter color in general. This looks more "grey blue" or "slate" as my wife puts it. I think it look quite nice and goes. Definitely not black. When I painted the black thimble I could see a dramatic shift toward the blue side.

As much as I love showing off pictures to everyone I don't want to clutter the forums too much (as I tell the kids, it isn't all about me) - PM me with an email address and I'll send you a larger set of pictures with different lighting so you can see better.

Status
Not open for further replies.