Footprint of Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I'm laying out the tile for my hearth pad and want to avoid the feet of the stove sitting on joints. Can any Fireview owner tell me the distance—center to center—between the feet. I was thinking width wise, but it would also be good to know the front-to-back measurment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Width 23.5"
front to back 17"
The feet are 2" wide

So 12-inch tile lined up with a joint on center might indeed be a problem. Might have to put a row of six inchers down the middle so the feet don't land on top of a joint.

Thank you for the measurements.

Don't put a joint down the center. Center a tile on the center, looks good that way, and then either extend your hearth to fit or cut the tiles on the outside edges in half. The 2 inch wide feet will bridge a tile joint so don't worry about it too much.

Highbeam said:
Don't put a joint down the center. Center a tile on the center, looks good that way, and then either extend your hearth to fit or cut the tiles on the outside edges in half. The 2 inch wide feet will bridge a tile joint so don't worry about it too much.

Exactly. That is my new plan. It could be a problem to straddle the joints because the slate tiles I'm using are pretty inconsistent in thickness.

I have 12" tiles - I'll have to shoot a picture. I didn't plan the feet as well as you are but it came out ok. As things turned out the front feet landed right on the corners of two tiles almost directly on the edges of the grout. All in all it doesn't look bad to me even though I can tell it isn't exactly centered since the grout lines are there to compare to... most folks probably don't notice but you know how it is when it's your own job eh?

I'd like to see those photos, and yes, I do know how it is when it's your project. All you see are the flaws.

I had everything all centered up and layed out perfectly but then the chimney goons didn't put the chimney perfectly in the center so I had to choose to have a crooked pipe or to set the stove slightly off center on the hearth. The installers said the tile lines would be much more noticable but I changed it since that crooked pipe was way too noticable for me.

And then there's that dime shoved part way under one of the feet. That must be because the stove legs are different lengths. Couldn't be because one of my tiles was smooshed down farther than the others.

Ours does not sit on the cracks with 12" tiles.

100_0103.gif

Highbeam said:
I had everything all centered up and layed out perfectly but then the chimney goons didn't put the chimney perfectly in the center so I had to choose to have a crooked pipe or to set the stove slightly off center on the hearth. The installers said the tile lines would be much more noticable but I changed it since that crooked pipe was way too noticable for me.

And then there's that dime shoved part way under one of the feet. That must be because the stove legs are different lengths. Couldn't be because one of my tiles was smooshed down farther than the others.

And there sums up a big part of it - no matter how well you try and plan these things, SOMETHING is bound to throw the whole plan off. Heck, I was relieved that my tiles ended up parallel to each other (at least enough that nobody has said anything to the contrary).

Hmm... Dennis, I assume your tiles were 12 inches, and you obviously had a centered joint, but it looks like your feet landed well inside the joints. Am I right?

Also, looking at your stone, it appears you may have gotten some with a lot of green marbling? I'm awaiting a sample of that stuff right now. Can't wait to finalize the order. I'm going with a custom dark brown paint (called leather) on the iron, and I think the green marbled stone would make it look even better.

Dreezon, yes the tiles are 12" and all is well. The color of the picture seemed to come out a little weird for some odd reason but yes, there is a hint of green there. Our cast is brown they say but it is more like a gray and I really like it.

Here are a couple pictures of how mine ended up - front and left side.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• CIMG2347.JPG
    CIMG2347.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 392
  • CIMG2348.JPG
    CIMG2348.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 370
Highbeam said:
You got a left side door?

Yes - it was necessary since I have a wall on the right and I'm not skinny enough to load the stove with only 2 feet between the stove and the wall :)

Slow1 said:

Enjoy!

Funny, yours look like they're closer to the grout lines than Dennis's. But anyway, it doesn't appear to have caused you a problem.

dreezon said:
Slow1 said:

Enjoy!

Funny, yours look like they're closer to the grout lines than Dennis's. But anyway, it doesn't appear to have caused you a problem.

Perhaps not all tiles have the same 12"... I don't think mine measured EXACTLY 12" (maybe it was a metric 12"? :) ) - and grout width may come into play although with only one line of grout I can't see it making that much of a difference.

At any rate, I haven't had a problem as you pointed out but it has only been there for a couple months so that's not a long track record. I will say that I anticipated this could happen so when I put the tiles down I was very careful to be sure that there were no gaps under there, particularly in the corners on the theory that a gap could allow the corner to sag and break off under the load.

Yeah, that's what I always worry about—having the tiles well—and evenly—supported by the thinset, and with this hearthpad, having it on an even surface. There is a pronounced dip in the existing floor.

The feet are about 1" wide side-to-side. Even if it did "sit" on a grout line, most of the foot would rest on the tile and I wouldn't think you would have a problem. You could also lay the tile on the diagonal? It worked for me but I was blessed with ignorance and luck. I didn't think about where the feet would sit until the thinset had dried. I noted when I measured the foot that if you did go the diagonal route and the feet did happen to land on the grout line, much more of the foot would sit in the grout than if you went the standard route due to the foot's 45ish degree angle out from the stove.

-Todd

I really like that hearth Todd - beautiful. I hadn't considered going diagonal - and I sure don't think I would have thought of that double/framed border you put in. Nice job there.

Man, that is a gorgeous hearthpad, Todd. I considered laying them on a diamond pattern, but it never occurred to me how helpful that could be for getting hexagonal corners to come out nicely. I'm afraid I have hearth envy, and it's too late for me to change my layout without considerable expense.

This is what I came up with.

Attachments

• HearthTile2.jpg
    HearthTile2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 296
  • HearthTile1.jpg
    HearthTile1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 291
  • FireviewFootprint1.jpg
    FireviewFootprint1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 288
  • FireviewFootprint2.jpg
    FireviewFootprint2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 287
Ah, great! Looks like you've solved your problem. I really like the color variation of the natural stone. Try and take pictures during the project and post them when you are done. I would love to see how it comes out.

-Todd

PS - Thanks for the compliments on my hearth pad but I can't take any of the credit. The saleswoman at RI Tile (Cindy) had the idea for the double border, diagonal tile and the use of a stone chair rail in the place of a wooden border. What customer service! All I had to do was install it. I love finding little gem business like these as there seems to be fewer and fewer of them around these days.

Update... I was inspired by Todd's design and found a nice way to put hexagonal corners on mine...

Attachments

• HearthDogEared.JPG
    HearthDogEared.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 268
Status
Not open for further replies.