For cellar burners with that down draft problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadon said:
I just installed an Ashely cabinet style wood/coal stove in my son's basement. I used Lowe's super vent stainless flue. we went about 4 foot above the eve of his roof making a 21 foot flue. I thought that would be sufficient. He gets down draft after the stove cools, he cannot fire 24/7 because of work schedules so when he and his wife come home the house smells terribly of wood smoke. He has a dryer and an oil burning boiler in his basement also. I plan on installing another 3 foot section of pipe. What else can I do to stop this problem. I did not start a new thread because this one is leading to solutions for our problem.
Hey Deadon my Mansfield burns so long and hot that there's enough heat in it that the upward draft is still in effect in the morning eliminating that down draft effect.When I had the Woodstock Classic in the cellar I would get the same down draft in the morning that your son's getting due to the stove cooling down too much.Sell the Ashley and get the Mansfield that should do it.

Perhaps another good reason to install a secondary air shutoff, making draft reversals impossible...

my basement stove (35' of chimney) does this terribly when the stove is dead cold and it is below 35 or so outside. so bad sometimes that when i open the door, cold air pours into the house like water. in times like this even the newspaper trick won't work. i'll grab a space heater and on "high" point it into the stove for 5 min. or so. works like a charm. if this ever happens when the power is out i have a handheld propane torch meant for sweating copper, and i can point that up the flue for a min. or so, also works like a charm.

fattyfat1 said:
my basement stove (35' of chimney) does this terribly when the stove is dead cold and it is below 35 or so outside. so bad sometimes that when i open the door, cold air pours into the house like water. in times like this even the newspaper trick won't work. i'll grab a space heater and on "high" point it into the stove for 5 min. or so. works like a charm. if this ever happens when the power is out i have a handheld propane torch meant for sweating copper, and i can point that up the flue for a min. or so, also works like a charm.

I stick a hair dryer or heat gun in the clean out door and get warm air going up the flue. For some reason, it never happens in really cold weather. I only have this problem ocassionaly in the winter during cool, very damp, overcast days. Might have something to do with the barometer or equilibrium with inside temps.

The house I used to live in had an ouside flue pipe out of the basement with a T.
It was miserable to get the cold air pushed out the pipe. I made a 1/4 ply. with a hole in
it for the vacume cleaner and opened the stove door and put the plywood over the opening
and blew the cold air out. Then quickly get a paper and kindeling fire going.

Rich L said:
velvetfoot said:
Does that Woodstock OAK have a manual damper to prevent the cold air from flowing in when things are cold, or is that not much of a factor?
I would imagine it would backflow easier at ground level rather than down the chimney.
Hi Velvetfoot,I just fired my OAK up for the first time last night.My Fireview is on an enclosed porch and when the stove isn't going it gets chilly out there.With the OAK installed it didn't feel any chillier.The OAK doesn't come with it's own damper.The dryer vent that I got has an inner lid which stays in the closed position.I taped it open to allow the outside air to flow without obstruction. I think the OAK allows the stove to generate more heat into the house.I don't now why though it was in the twenties last night my wife and I weren't aware of it.I had a hand towel in bed with me to wipe away the sweat.

Are you sure it was the stove that was making you sweat so much in bed? ;-P

Good to hear the OAK is working. If I were you I'd install one on the Mansfield as well, it wouldn't hurt any.

Todd said:
Rich L said:
velvetfoot said:
Does that Woodstock OAK have a manual damper to prevent the cold air from flowing in when things are cold, or is that not much of a factor?
I would imagine it would backflow easier at ground level rather than down the chimney.
Hi Velvetfoot,I just fired my OAK up for the first time last night.My Fireview is on an enclosed porch and when the stove isn't going it gets chilly out there.With the OAK installed it didn't feel any chillier.The OAK doesn't come with it's own damper.The dryer vent that I got has an inner lid which stays in the closed position.I taped it open to allow the outside air to flow without obstruction. I think the OAK allows the stove to generate more heat into the house.I don't now why though it was in the twenties last night my wife and I weren't aware of it.I had a hand towel in bed with me to wipe away the sweat.

Are you sure it was the stove that was making you sweat so much in bed? ;-P

Good to hear the OAK is working. If I were you I'd install one on the Mansfield as well, it wouldn't hurt any.
Yes Todd it was the stove,I was behaving myself.Ya I'm going to order the OAK for the Mansfield.

Deadon said:
I just installed an Ashely cabinet style wood/coal stove in my son's basement. I used Lowe's super vent stainless flue. we went about 4 foot above the eve of his roof making a 21 foot flue. I thought that would be sufficient. He gets down draft after the stove cools, he cannot fire 24/7 because of work schedules so when he and his wife come home the house smells terribly of wood smoke. He has a dryer and an oil burning boiler in his basement also. I plan on installing another 3 foot section of pipe. What else can I do to stop this problem. I did not start a new thread because this one is leading to solutions for our problem.
Sir Deadon,I was wondering has your son burned coal in the ashley yet?I'm thinking the coal should burn hot and long enough to sustain the draft until the son gets back from work to refuel it.The OAK would also be a more permanent answer.What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.