? for the experts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Great area, I was in Payette for 10 years. Just headed further north to Cottonwood last year.

I love Cottonwood. Used to go up there for work (Corrections) 3 or 4 times a year. Good move on your part!

Reactions: rwhite and Squisher
Great area, I was in Payette for 10 years. Just headed further north to Cottonwood last year.

I love Cottonwood. Used to go up there for work (Corrections) 3 or 4 times a year. Good move on your part!
How's the hunt for the stove location going?

Well!! We used all the advice on here and decided to put the stove just to the left of the window on the back wall, to the right of the kitchen nook. I also ordered the Englander 30-NC (2400 sq/ft) from HD. $899 with back heat plate and fan (loud one, need to swap it out!).

I'm now wondering about the hearth. We will be using the legs, and read online that 1' of air space equals 1 R value. So, the stove ships with the pedestal, and calls for 1.5 R value hearth. Does using the legs change the requirements to .5 R value?

Thanks everyone!

The manual doesn't state that it reduces the r value so I would say you still need 1.5. This is a good link for r-values of common materials. When I built mine I used micore. The community building center in Ontario often has old cubicle walls for sale. Find the ones that feel like they have a "hard" back and they will be made from micore. I stripped the fabric off and sandwiched it between durock. Micore looks like compressed newspaper and has very little structural integrity. I think I paid $5 for one partition which amounted to 2 5x5 sheets of micore.

The manual doesn't state that it reduces the r value so I would say you still need 1.5. This is a good link for r-values of common materials. When I built mine I used micore. The community building center in Ontario often has old cubicle walls for sale. Find the ones that feel like they have a "hard" back and they will be made from micore. I stripped the fabric off and sandwiched it between durock. Micore looks like compressed newspaper and has very little structural integrity. I think I paid $5 for one partition which amounted to 2 5x5 sheets of micore.

Thanks for the tips RWhite! Did you mean to post a link to the R Value site?

Reactions: rwhite