For those of you who complain about their roof.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
This is what I am dealing with this mourning trying to beat the thunderstorms coming in at noon.

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_094725.jpg
    IMG_20191031_094725.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_20191031_093926.jpg
    IMG_20191031_093926.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 358
Don't want to get up there and realize you forgot something.

I really hate extension ladders. They just never feel that secure to me.

Don't want to get up there and realize you forgot something.

I really hate extension ladders. They just never feel that secure to me.
You need better ladders then. Ours are 450 lb weight limit. They feel secure.

You need better ladders then. Ours are 450 lb weight limit. They feel secure.

Wasn't referring to flex of the ladder so much as the top of it not being secured. Always in my mind that it is going to want to slide side to side. I'm not on them very often though, I'm sure that people that use them every day have more confidence in them.

Wasn't referring to flex of the ladder so much as the top of it not being secured. Always in my mind that it is going to want to slide side to side. I'm not on them very often though, I'm sure that people that use them every day have more confidence in them.
Ahh yeah I have that one strapped fast to the ridge ladder on the roof. Mainly because of the wind. It is angled enough it wouldn't slide otherwise.

Reactions: WinterinWI
How do you tether yourself when on the platform? Just a question as that looks way scarier than my bush installation I posted earlier this week in my install thread. Harness or just steel balls? Curious is the only reason I ask.

Yea that roof is steep enough to split a rain drop lol. Ladders are dangerous....one of the leading causes of fatalities/injuries on job sites in U.S. For sure would be tying top of ladder off lol. How tall is chimney?

Reactions: Sawset
How do you tether yourself when on the platform? Just a question as that looks way scarier than my bush installation I posted earlier this week in my install thread. Harness or just steel balls? Curious is the only reason I ask.
I don't

Yea that roof is steep enough to split a rain drop lol. Ladders are dangerous....one of the leading causes of fatalities/injuries on job sites in U.S. For sure would be tying top of ladder off lol. How tall is chimney?
38' liner. But that goes below grade a few feet.

Pour in insulation? Like 5 gallon buckets? How many trips up and down?

Pour in insulation? Like 5 gallon buckets? How many trips up and down?
25 buckets but I pulled most of them up with a rope. I only carried a few when I had to go up and down anyway. Probably 15 or so trips up and down. The ladder is nothing that's normal every day stuff. The 14/12 roof was the pita part.

This is what I am dealing with this mourning trying to beat the thunderstorms coming in at noon.

No.
Just no.
Just no way would I go up there to get on that roof.
If I was in the business I'd own a man lift. A friend just bought one and another is doing so to paint his house.

The highest I've been was 110' in an aerial platform on a fire truck. Felt perfectly safe. Didn't have to get out. LOL

No.
Just no.
Just no way would I go up there to get on that roof.
If I was in the business I'd own a man lift. A friend just bought one and another is doing so to paint his house.

The highest I've been was 110' in an aerial platform on a fire truck. Felt perfectly safe. Didn't have to get out. LOL
Manlifts are great if you can get them in and we do use them sometimes. But many times you just can't get them where We need them in this case it would have meant removing fence and moving plantings to gain access.

Mods.... please sticky this.

So those who question the cost of a liner install from a CSIA sweep realize that these fella's are not charging enough.

wow! as someone who hates heights....not in a million years! much respect to you! my roof would be a piece of cake compared to this one. im tall with a long reach and can hang christmas lights off the gutters without a ladder--single story ranch on slab. can imagine the chimney sweep enjoys my roof compared to these!

Reactions: ispinwool
Manlifts are great if you can get them in and we do use them sometimes. But many times you just can't get them where We need them in this case it would have meant removing fence and moving plantings to gain access.
Ya I realize that. Gotta make a living I guess. LOL

Ya I realize that. Gotta make a living I guess. LOL
I wish there were a place locally that rented boom lifts. That would make my liner and chimney install much easier!

geez that's an ugly one! Earned every penny on a job like that. Glad we don't have very many houses like that here.

Just the pic of the roof gives me the heeby-jeebies!