For those with PE Summit inserts...a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJL923

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Western Mass
I have been thinking about upgrading to a PE Summit insert. My question is the site lists log length 18-20" max. Is that accurate for one, and two, what is the e/w length and n/s length?

Thanks
Eric

Fairly accurate....It's 18 E-W.....20 N-S....I've. Had bigger in there, but they've been diagonal...

what length splits do you cut or have others cut. Or, what is the best length for the stove?

16" to 18" is optimal for me N toS . You want to keep at least 2 or 3" away from the glass to keep it clean. Otherwise load it up and let er burn.

Also I have a few other questions for you to answer if you don't mind.

Any problems with the baffle warping? Is ti built to last?

Any problems cracked welds others have reported?

What size house do you heat with your summit? I am looking to heat about 2400 sq ft, two floors.

We're going on season 4 with our T6, same baffle and it still looks good. It would take some consistent overfiring to warp it and is definitely made to last. Over time it may sag a little, but that doesn't affect performance. I just checked ours and I would estimate there is maybe 1/8" sag in the middle. It's a great design, easy to clean and tough.

Here's what I have been able to find out about the cracks. There were some minor cracks by the door that were in the older design of the stove that showed up in some inserts when the stove was pushed hard. PE has tested a returned cracked stove extensively by overfiring it 24/7 for over a year. So far, the cracks have not grown and have not affected the stove performance. Out of many thousands of units sold the total number of reports on this issue to PE is less than 50. PE has indicated that they redesigned this area of the insert to eliminate the issue. I haven't had a chance to see a newer Summit to photograph the change, but it's on my (near endless) to do list.

Reactions: thechimneysweep
Thanks begreen. Does the baffle seal against something? It looks like the air comes in through the baffle, rather than tubes. I was wondering if warping would ever cause a bad seal.

Begreen, as always you're in the know. I have looked into this issue myself, and what you say about the benign nature of the cracks is correct (except the stove in question has been in the torture chamber for far longer than one year). What I'd like to add is, every single one of the reported cracked stoves has shown other signs of repeated overfiring. It occurs to me that this thread is being hijacked, so I'm going to start a new thread about this issue.

This is all good information, the more the better. I like getting down into the nitty gritty of any possible purchase.

eric,

for the life of i couldnt get my cpu to type.
i love my summit! however, i must admit mine is one that has cracks. PE had them fixed last year and they are back. take it for what its worth, it seems to be something specific to certain model years so you might be safe.

eric,

for the life of i couldnt get my cpu to type.
i love my summit! however, i must admit mine is one that has cracks. PE had them fixed last year and they are back. take it for what its worth, it seems to be something specific to certain model years so you might be safe.

As the dealer has pointed out Ice, every single one of us has repeatedly overfired out stoves, that word must be gospel, and we are all wrong and run our inserts like crap.
Yet there was research done on it, and now they have a new design that solved the problem "we" caused by repeatedly overfiring our stove that have crap for control to start with.
My blood is overfiring with every BS word that is getting flung around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.