Found a bunch of oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
We live on a mountaintop and the road up to our place has 75 curves (yes, they're numbered), and it's all part of a prefectural park. I noticed a work crew cutting trees on corner 18 last week. They've been working below that earlier this fall and I got some wood but almost everything they cut was cedar. Well, corner 18 had several large oak trees that they cut down and have just left the wood there. I got a couple loads in my tiny little van today and will keep going back for more since the weather is supposed to stay warm and clear most of this week. A very nice Christmas present!!!

Awesome. Oak definitely trumps cedar...

This thread is useless without pics
OK. :)

This is what I hauled, cut, split and stacked yesterday and today.
DSC06576.jpg

I ran out of steam about an hour ago and still have these waiting to be split and stacked.
DSC06578.jpg

I'll try to remember to take some photos of the stash next time I go down there. Probably tomorrow.

My wife posted this on facebook today... I didn't even notice when she took it. :)
woodpiles-XL.jpg

Looks great. Fine score.

Here are a few shots of the site where I found the wood. As you can see, I haven't even scratched the surface.
The big pieces in this shot are 18" to 24" across.

DSC00609.jpg

This is the biggest tree they cut down. The stump is at least 4 feet across! And that's my tiny little Honda Vamos van in the background.
DSC00611.jpg

These pieces are about 8" to 18" across.
DSC00612.jpg

I'll probably be making a lot more trips to this site in the coming months. It is far enough down the mountain that they probably won't get buried in the snow. :) Where we live on top of the mountain is about 4,400 feet in elevation and things stay frozen for about 3 months here, but this site is at about 3,600 feet and it's on the southern side of the mountain.

Reactions: Oldman47
sportbikerider78, you might enjoy this video! It starts from the parking lot just below corner 17, so the second corner you see is where I found the oak. He races his car up this section in just over 5 minutes. The fastest I've ever done it is just over 10 minutes and that is much, much faster than my wife lets me drive when she's in the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.