Found a Century 1000 sf - now how to get it home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KWillets

Nov 28, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Surprisingly, I was able to order a Century FW240007 (small) stove online for pickup at a Lowes about 40 mi. North of me, at the sale price.

It's a bit premature, since I'm still working on the family to decommission the antique range in our vacation cabin, but I figured the price is hard to pass up. I'll be sniffing around for chimney, etc., for the next few months. Or, I'll sell it :).

Now, I can't find any weight or packing info on the stove online. I looked at one in the store, got a rough idea of the size, but I don't know if I need a truck or a car with a big trunk to pick it up. I figure I could take the bricks out, etc., and get it down to a liftable weight, but I have no idea. Does anyone know how much it weighs?

I bought one today too. Paid $200.00 for it. I have an F150 but it would easily fit in the back of a full size SUV. I am not sure of the weight. 3 guys loaded it up for me at lowes. When I got home I took the bricks out and me and friend (neither of us is huge) easily moved into my house. I would guess it weighs ~ 200lbs.

I bought the 2,000 sq ft and it is a little under 300 without the firebricks in it. I bet a little over 200 lbs. I would not recommend lifting it yourself, a little twist the wrong way and Viola you might be spending all day looking at your stove and somebody else having to put wood in it for you!!!!!!!!

I used a dolly and ramps and pushed mine up the back of a truck no problem. You could get some wooden ramps too and easily put it in a SUV no problem

I paid 299 for my 2,000 sq ft Century, sounds like you got a nice deal too

Cheers

I finally found an old HD listing with 225 lbs. as the weight. It has something like 20 firebricks, so the hull must be under 200. But, my cousin's truck sounds nice about now.

2 can pick it up and move it up and down stairs easily.

Alone I can walk it across the floor with all the bricks without trouble.

Matt

Take off the heavy parts like the door and firebricks. It won't be hard for two people to carry in. Or you can use (rent) a handtruck and move it by yourself.

It looks like we've got a plan today. My cousin is willing to stage it at his place before we truck it up North, so I just have to cart it a few miles. I can rent one of those delivery trucks if I can't jam it into the car.

The real work is figuring out where to put the thing. We like the look of the old range, and we'll probably leave it there for looks and shoehorn this in next to it, or else move it over and use the same chimney line. Either way we need a new chimney and hearth (the old stove is sitting on linoleum), but it'll be a relief not to have to be in the room when the fire is going.

In any case I'm planning a very safe installation, thanks to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.