Found a lucky scrounge today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Just happened to go by a road project close by. Saw a bunch of logs.
Stopped & asked, they said bring a trailer & they'd load the logs with an excavator.
I got 2 trailer loads. A commercial wood cutter was there getting 3 log trailer loads.
I got 1-1/2 cord is my guess, 75% Spruce & 25% birch.
Just went out & got a pic of it bucked . Split/stack tomorrow maybe.
Dirty wood, it was drug thru the dirt several times, moved around with and excavator, hard on the chain but got thru it all. Chain in need of more than just a touch up.
Free, close, only had to drag the logs off the trailer with the ATV & buck it. 100_7459.JPG

100_7458.JPG

Every little bit helps :)

Totally awesome! That's a great surprise scrounge, don't you love it? :)

I finished cutting the ash blow downs today at my sister's house, and got a surprise myself. I found a portion of a large, overgrown apple tree that 3 large/long branches fell off it, on the back of my sister's property. It's maybe 1/4 cord of apple wood, and oh, about 3/4 cord ash, some is a bit rotten, and going to the burn pile. I'll have to get it later after the ground dries enough. Sorry, I forgot the camera. I'll take pics when I can retrieve it all in a month or so. We have 7 days of sunny weather starting tomorrow!

Those mountains look like some fresh snow on them. You live in a post card perfect area! Our mountains here in Oregon also got some snow down to about 3,000 feet in the past two days. It was 34 degrees at my house in the valley last night, and my wood stove is going now again. But 80 degree weather in two days forcast, Yay!

Weather here still getiing cold at night, snow maybe <>

5-5 wther.jpg

Stopped & asked, they said bring a trailer & they'd load the logs with an excavator.
I got 2 trailer loads. A commercial wood cutter was there getting 3 log trailer loads.
Dirty wood, it was drug thru the dirt several times, moved around with and excavator, hard on the chain but got thru it all. Chain in need of more than just a touch up.
Free, close, only had to drag the logs off the trailer with the ATV & buck it.View attachment 66545

View attachment 66546

Bogydave,
Every time you post a photo with that beautiful Alaska scenery, I can't help but wonder if you have to pinch yourself to make sure you aren't living a dream. What a fantqastic sight to wake up to. Oh by the way nice score too. Almost forgot about the wood while looking at the mountians.
Take care,
Tim

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Bogydave,
Every time you post a photo with that beautiful Alaska scenery, I can't help but wonder if you have to pinch yourself to make sure you aren't living a dream. What a fantqastic sight to wake up to. Oh by the way nice score too. Almost forgot about the wood while looking at the mountians.
Take care,
Tim

Yes, we have great scenery, our weather could be better though. Your 3 months of winter is better than our 6 months of winter

Dave, most of my life I have enjoyed winter but as I age I seem to enjoy it less and less. However, I still love the fall the best. Seems so good to get cooled off again and finally get rid of the bugs.

Yes, we have great scenery, our weather could be better though. Your 3 months of winter is better than our 6 months of winter

I love winter, my favorite season, you guys had a great winter this year.

...Dirty wood, it was drug thru the dirt several times, moved around with and excavator, hard on the chain but got thru it all. Chain in need of more than just a touch up...

I wonder if a quick power wash would be worth the effort?

That mountain view sure doesn't suck.

Bogydave,
Take care,
Tim

Not sure this past winter up there would be called living a dream but it is beautiful scenery!

Free, close, only had to drag the logs off the trailer with the ATV & buck it.View attachment 66545

View attachment 66546

Nice score Dave and nice scenery!!!

I never get tired of watching those mountains Dave. Please post some more. It is our life dream to go visit alaska. What is the name of those mountains behind you? If we go up there, we are coming over for Cafe. Ill bring the Dominican coffee you provide the buttered rolls. LOL. Great score

Part of the Chugach range.
How about smoked salmon instead .

After a while kinda just get used to the views till someone from out of state mentions something about it.

Dave you still gonna want the wood I have extra? Talked to the guy today (Matsu milling) and once the weight restrictions are lifted he is ready to haul.

@Nate, Thats how we feel about NYC, all my friends from out of state come here to visit to see the "sights", I worked at the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building and after a few months I got desensitized to all that the city has to offer. Now I live about 60 miles north and only go to the City on rare occasions.

And if at all possible, I'd never go into a city. Hate them in one way but love them in another. I'm glad they are there to contain so many people which keeps them out of the country. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.