Found loose part in Hearthstone Castleton 8031

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bundy150

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
Found loose in new Castleton 8031. What is it and where does it belong?

WIN_20210612_20_12_55_Pro.jpg

Here is the schematic for the Castleton 8030.
Not sure what changed in the 8031, but I don't
see anything that resembles that component
anywhere in the drawing...

1623602465095.png

Agreed! I looked at that 8030 parts diagram and could not see it. I sent a pic and email to Hearthstone but no response yet. If anyone has a good phone number for Hearthstone it would be much appreciated.

I’ve installed a bunch of castletons. I don’t recall seeing that part. It’s not part of the normal installation, could be a baffle part though.

From Hearthstone
That is a chimney brush stop that would be installed in several stove models like the Heritage, Castleton, and Mansfield. It would stop a chimney brush from coming all the way down where it might break the ceramic baffle. It is factory installed in the flue collar. It is often removed when the stove is set up as a rear exit because it would serve no purpose.

Reactions: begreen
From Hearthstone
That is a chimney brush stop that would be installed in several stove models like the Heritage, Castleton, and Mansfield. It would stop a chimney brush from coming all the way down where it might break the ceramic baffle. It is factory installed in the flue collar. It is often removed when the stove is set up as a rear exit because it would serve no purpose.
Now that you mention it, it’s obvious. Glad they got back with you

From Hearthstone

Correct.

Reactions: begreen
That's a nice touch. More stoves with fragile baffles should have them.

I haven’t messed with a castelton baffle, but the baffles aren't easy to remove in most hearthstones. I clean them all from the top down.