Found out what caused my chimney to warp........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mjstef

Oct 4, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin

Attachments

• 20170928_175210.jpg
    20170928_175210.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 435
  • 20170928_175220.jpg
    20170928_175220.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 20170928_175229.jpg
    20170928_175229.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 437
Stuff like that is really common. That is yet another reason i hate to see inserts put in zc units. Allot of them are not installed properly to start.

Stuff like that is really common. That is yet another reason i hate to see inserts put in zc units. Allot of them are not installed properly to start.
Good to see this getting fixed. Speaking theoretically I'd think that an insert with a convection jacket and a stainless liner would make this situation safer.

Good to see this getting fixed. Speaking theoretically I'd think that an insert with a convection jacket and a stainless liner would make this situation safer.
There is no data to back that up at all. Modifying an unsafe install in an untested and un approved way is not the way to fix it. Internal temps in those open fireplaces are really pretty low because of the massive ammout of air moving through them. When you put an insert in there you stop the air movement and burn much much longer. This could potentially lead to more heat transfer through the unit. Why do you insist on advocating for this type of install? There are just way to many variables and none of them have been properly tested in most cases.

I'm not advocating anything, but a live fire in a fireplace is not low temp. Where is the data to backup that this is unsafe assuming that the flue is not compromised as in this case? As has been hashed about before, CSIA itself says the main issue is concern about litigation due to the untested nature of the installation. That is totally understandable.

I'm not advocating anything, but a live fire in a fireplace is not low temp. Where is the data to backup that this is unsafe assuming that the flue is not compromised as in this case? As has been hashed about before, CSIA itself says the main issue is concern about litigation due to the untested nature of the installation. That is totally understandable.
The walls of a fireplace are pretty cool when compared to the walls of a stove. Because of the ammout of dilution air. Why do you think they can get away with such low clearance with so little insulation and sheilding. And a lower temp chimney. I have never claimed it was unsafe. Just untested and unapproved. That means we dont know if it is safe. And it absolutly does not meet code.

Got the old chimney out and took a few pics. No clue other than getting too hot as to what caused this but it was leaking into the air cooled channel and sparks could have dropped the 4' with a downdraft and caused a fire. Glad this thing is gone!!!!

Attachments

• 20171001_170759.jpg
    20171001_170759.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20171001_170807.jpg
    20171001_170807.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 20171001_170942.jpg
    20171001_170942.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 138
Wow someone got that really hot like glowing hot! Unfortunately it can happen really easy in fireplaces with big loads and no control of the draft. My guess is they were trying to heat the whole house with this fireplace and kept it roaring. glad it's out for you and your familys sake.

Reactions: mjstef