Found some purple wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
Naww just kiddin it's just red cedar but it sure does have a beautiful heartwood. I forgot i had a small red cedar out back that i cut up a few months ago, so i drug a few rounds up to the house and threw em on the rack.

trees011.jpg

Nothin like the smell of fresh cut cedar!! :cheese:

That's some right purdy wood.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have some blown over cedars from when I bought my property 3 years ago. I cut some a few months back and was surprised how fragrant the wood was. I put some in the back of my ATV and left it in the garage over night.

Sure made my garage smell prudy. ;-P

Shipper

There's a lot of eastern redcedar around here. I think it's our only native evergreen. Some people consider them pests, but I like them. It makes great kindling, but most people don't like to burn it as split wood. I like to use it for a startup fire, it gets the stove hot pretty fast. We have a redcedar in the yard that's 40-50 ft. tall with a 14" trunk and that's pretty big for a redcedar. The ice storm did a number on it, but it seems to have bounced back.
The only thing I don't like about the cedars, are the prickly needles. It's a pita to walk through a tight grove of them.

Very pretty wood. Do folks ever use the wood to make items out of it? I realize the cedar might be a bit soft for flooring, but what about other wood products?

I've done woodwork with it.

I realize from all the posts that we're talking about red cedar. However, there are a couple of purple woods out there. Purpleheart is a tropical hardwood used especially for accent or small bits of trim in fancy woodworking. Also, there is a purple-stained construction lumber which I believe is fire-retardent.

ChipTam

When I was growing up, my grandparents lived in an old, old, house in upstate NY, like 1700's old. It had a room they called the cedar room which was paneled in cedar. Its a beautiful wood finnished, smells great and sure repels moths.

jpl1nh said:
When I was growing up, my grandparents lived in an old, old, house in upstate NY, like 1700's old. It had a room they called the cedar room which was paneled in cedar. Its a beautiful wood finnished, smells great and sure repels moths.

My stove room is paneled in cedar and it is pretty good looking.

Another nice thing about eastern redcedar is how it resists rotting. A friend of mine gave me an 8" thick log this past summer that he found in his woods and he said his uncle had cut it down over 30 years ago. I cut it up and it was still purple inside and still had that same sweet aroma.
I love the smell of redcedar when it burns, it's like incense.

Status
Not open for further replies.