Foxe Fire Faceplate help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rmarx1987

Sep 25, 2021
New York
Hello,

I refinished an older model wood burning insert, however, it did not come with a faceplate. Nobody knows (and I can't find anything online) about my insert. It's called a Firefox. Can someone direct me to what the best solution is to get a faceplate for my stove? Is there a customizable faceplate product or website that anyone is familiar with? Maybe something cuttable? I'm handy myself, can I fabricate something?

Thanks

A picture is worth 1000 words, or so I'm told. Got a photo of this relic, to help with the identification?

The top measures 34 1/2", it is 24" tall.

IMG_20220927_134009.jpg IMG_20220927_133958.jpg

Reactions: Jeff in Maine
Paging @coaly, we have one for the Classics forum.

No biggie, one of the mod's will move it. Not a huge issue, but you'll definitely get a quicker (and righter) response from the crew that frequents the classics forum.

I know @bholler has been around today, he can move it. He might also recognize the model, he works on a lot of stoves.

Reactions: Rmarx1987
You will have to fabricate a flat plate to enclose the gap between Insert and fireplace opening. It is only for looks. Normally the sides are mounted first, then a third piece across the top overlaps the side pieces slightly.

When these were made it was common to install in the fireplace, seal the faceplate to front of fireplace and let them use the existing chimney flue. Chimney flues for open fireplaces are much larger than a flue for a stove, so as the hot exhaust gases expand into the larger area, they cool below condensing point forming creosote. Time has proven, and now code requires a direct connected liner the same size as Insert outlet extended to top of chimney. Now all air goes through the firebox instead of leaking around it as well, so the faceplate no longer serves the function of sealing the opening. It can be screen, or any other noncombustible material.

Coaly,

Thanks for your response. I have purchased a liner kit from Rockford chimney supply, and it will be installed soon enough. As far as the faceplate goes, what's the best material? 1/4" steel?

1/4" steel sounds awful heavy. Aren't these surrounds usually just sheet metal?

I would recommend 16 gauge steel. What size liner did you get?

I had to meet the appropriate size square inch for the exhaust on the stove, it meets the code of conduct. The liner is bigger than the exhaust (per square inch).

I have no clue, ergo, my question being here. Like, are 3 piece surrounds just flat stock metal?
Most are 3 piece but that varies. Some are single piece some are more. You are just going to have to design something

Thinner, make it easy to work with. Gauge steel, normally 24 gauge or thicker. Scrap from the side of a washer, dryer, or fridge. Fisher used 22 gauge, cold rolled steel.

I had to meet the appropriate size square inch for the exhaust on the stove, it meets the code of conduct. The liner is bigger than the exhaust (per square inch).
Good just making sure you didn't just go with a 6" without checking the volume of the outlet

Ok, so it's on me to make something then. I assume I can screw the faceplate directly to the brick then being that from here on out is strictly for aesthetics?

Thinner, make it easy to work with. Gauge steel, normally 24 gauge or thicker. Scrap from the side of a washer, dryer, or fridge. Fisher used 22 gauge, cold rolled steel.
Really? I was pretty sure they used atleast 18 gauge for their surrounds.

Thiner will absolutely work if there are reinforcing bends put in it

Ok, so it's on me to make something then. I assume I can screw the faceplate directly to the brick then being that from here on out is strictly for aesthetics?
Yes just make something that looks good if installed properly it serves no function just aesthetics. And yeah it can attach to the stove or the brick

Really? I was pretty sure they used atleast 18 gauge for their surrounds.

Thiner will absolutely work if there are reinforcing bends put in it
22 ga. is the shields on the UL stoves. I never miked a surround faceplate. I believe the specs on prints are 22 minimum. Thicker will keep it straight. Kits and blowers were supplied by others, so they can vary.

This Insert looks so big it shouldn’t need a very large piece.

Reactions: bholler
22 ga. is the shields on the UL stoves. I never miked a surround faceplate. I believe the specs on prints are 22 minimum. Thicker will keep it straight. Kits and blowers were supplied by others, so they can vary.
I have never checked it either. I just remember them feeling thicker than 22. But I absolutely could be wrong