FP30 custom heat distribution system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Correct. The dealer needs to read the installation instructions.

Outside air may be drawn through either side or back of the unit by connecting 4"(102mm) rigid or flex pipe onto the outside air adapter opening provided on either side of the combustion air box. The fireplace comes with the outside air adapter factory installed on the right side. You are able to switch this with the cover plate on the left side if required. We recommend insulated flex when being installed in cold climates.

Hi, I've been reading this forum since the spring of this year when I bought the FP30 and have been thrilled. In August, I plugged in the insert and tested it when the temperature outside dropped to 13 degrees Celsius. I have been heating continuously since September and until last week, when the temperatures were at least around 0 degrees, it was still possible, but now, when the temperatures have dropped to -8 degrees Celsius, the insert does not have time to heat the house. To be precise, the house is 2 floors + basement and I am trying to heat the whole house with the distribution systems, so far the distribution systems are temporary. I blow through one pipe to the basement, the second to the floor where the FP30 is and the third to the upper floor. The fan has a draft of up to 1000 m3/h, but it usually runs at 50%. The temperature blown into the pipe is about 50-60 degrees Celsius. The house has an area for heating of approx. 270 m2. Two floors and each 120m2 and in the basement one room 30m2. The house is not insulated, it has new plastic windows with double glazing and 6 chambers.
I will attach a photo of the house and a photo of the fireplace. Do you think the house is above the limit of this insert?
View attachment 305050View attachment 305051View attachment 305052View attachment 305053
In the photo, it looks like you have two electric baffles controlling the flow. I am planning on doing something similar. How did you control it?

I've got the Valcourt Waterloo and have been messing with the VA4460 for a few weeks. I originally tried to tie it right into my main plenum where my ducts distribute to the rooms. This didn't work, too much pressure to overcome. How did you tie yours in? Tieing it into one duct it works excellent, tons of heat and airflow..I'm planning on doing three rooms with zone dampers and a customer smart)home automation solution to it. This is because I don't think the fan will have enough power to drive three rooms worth. I looked at the AC Infinity fan but was worried it can't handle the heat. I ran a 50 foot test run with insulated flex duct to my garage. It's pumping out air at 125 degrees. It took my temp from 52 to 58 today and my garage is a 4 car.
"I'm planning on doing three rooms with zone dampers and a customer smart)home automation solution to it. This is because I don't think the fan will have enough power to drive three rooms worth. "

I am planning on doing the same thing, but need to figure out what hardware to use and what to control it. Did you end up making this?

"I'm planning on doing three rooms with zone dampers and a customer smart)home automation solution to it. This is because I don't think the fan will have enough power to drive three rooms worth. "

I am planning on doing the same thing, but need to figure out what hardware to use and what to control it. Did you end up making this?
Hi, sorry I'm only writing now, I've only just read the query. Yes, I am using the steering via electric flaps ordered on Aliexpress. They are a 2x T piece and each has 2 dampers, so 4 in total. The fan should have enough thrust as well, but the problem is that the insert doesn't produce enough heat for my house. When it's freezing, it's only 17 degrees in the upstairs rooms. so I have to help myself with conventional oil heating in the radiators. The house is uninsulated and I have the heat loss calculated at about 19.5 kW at -20 C. In the room where the liner is it is about 28 C but further away from the ducts it drops to about 20 down to the 18-17.
Otherwise I also use Home Assistant automation but I haven't finalised it yet, because I'm still not sure if this insert is the best solution for me. It has greatly increased the dust in the house etc. Also the wood even on the gasifier burns out within 4 hours, then it's just glowing which doesn't give as much heat. I don't know if the liner and assembly still has the potential to improve anything for me to get better results. The wood is hardwood 2 years old and dry. Every 2-4 weeks or so I have to clean the fireplace area of ash and that too is dusty. It is always ash up to the bottom edge of the door. The glass also gets smoky in the lower corners when it gases and is otherwise all greyed out. It stays clean for a few days until I use the gassing. The top BAFFLE has gotten quite twisted and bent upwards. I have no idea if you can get a new one in Europe and from what I've looked at prices in Canada similar ones cost around $500, which is a lot for a piece of iron.

If you've made any progress with your install, please share, I'd be happy to.