FPX36 Cat Question FireplaceX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner73

Jul 22, 2008
NY
All-
I have a question relating to the CAT in a stove- in my case specifically the Fireplace Xtrordinaire.

When the fire is "ripping" the cat glows brightly. However, once the flames die down it is no longer glowing. Does this mean the CAT is no longer burning off the remaining gases?

Should I disengage the cat. At this point the box is very hot. The temp switch is made and the blower is running full.

Also- the cat is engaged during my nightime burn. As the fire burns down does this "cooler" burning adversely affect the cat.

TIA

PS- Looks like the real test for this unit is coming up this week. Anyone in the Northeast who has looked at the forecast knows what I am talking about.

My stove does the same thing. The cat doesn't need to glow to be working, it only glows when reaching 1000 degrees. As the smoke and gases burn up there is less fuel for the cat to eat, just keep it engaged for the full burning cycle, it will be fine and disengage during start ups and reloads.

My first year w/FPX 44. I was wondering the same thing about the Cat as mine does the same.

Got Fire- Looks great. I have a very similar install.

Are you going through wood as fast as I am?

With these units it seems the choice is
1. Clear glass lots of wood

OR

2. Opaque glass slow burn not so much wood.

My 2nd year with 36". It took me a little bit to get and keep clear glass. I usually go thru about 3-4 loads a day, making sure to get really going good before closing down the air. I don't usually do this either unless the cat is glowing, so that's kinda my test. I used to close it down way too early thinking I was wasting wood, but now I'm getting it hotter after a new load and it allows me to close the air down further. If I do it to soon then open it back up, wait and try again. Also, I don't close it down ALL the way 'cause yea then glass get brown, but I probably get to what I'd say is to 7/8th's closed, to where I can still see flames. I know the air control seems to only be able to slide left-right about an 1" so it's kinda tricky 'til I could get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.