FPX44 thermometer probe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrryG

Jan 2, 2015
Front Royal, VA
I need a little assistance please! I have a Fireplace Extrodinare 44 Elite, love it. I decided that I would install the Condar thermostat before I finish the brickwork and that's where I'm a little lost. Google the manual- at the back are the instructions from Elite, they say there may a bolt to remove, if not, just drill a hole. Also there's a notch in the arch...what the hell are they talking about? The diagram in the manual isn't a good representation of that area of the stove at all.

I can't figure out where I'm supposed to poke the 1/8 inch hole in to run the thermocouple wire through. Also, I saw folks say to insert it from the flue side, the picture IMHO shows it inserted from the front, unless thier arrow for the zoom into the catalyst is just poorly done.

Does anyone have a picture of the hole location to run the probe wire thru and walk me thru where to put the hole & run the wire? I assume it is also to be sealed with hi temp sealant once thru. Any help much appreciated, I don't want to screw this part up.

Larrry G.

No, it's a 44 Elite, I bought & installed it myself. I discussed with Condar, the Rep said those instructions were old & the probe dosen't go inside the catalyst anymore. Disturbing that the link you posted has the guy breaking the catalyst with a screwdriver to insert the probe... Rep said have it 1"-2" away from the catalyst, don't let the probe touch. Backside of the catalyst is not a good option to insert either as it is enclosed by heavy bolted plate all around except the front.

So what I had done so far was locate a hole for the wiring to the right top side of the stove, made sure I was going to miss a small curved baffle plate (welded inside top of door, must be to help curl the flame/heat/gasses into the catalyst). I just opened the hole to the probe diameter from the inside of the stove so I could feed the wire thru and then set the back of the probe into the enlarged hole. Luckily, the hole I had already poked thru was accessable from the inside by having the drill right next to the catalyst box facing the front. The probe now sticks straight into the firebox, with the probe and wire sealed around all with high-temp Permatex.

I also noticed the other post's confusion on bolt removal listed in the instructions for the Elite and the note to "file a notch". I didn't file a notch to run the wire thru, I drilled a small hole thru the arched outer frame upwards so I could run the wire up the face, poke a hole thru the Hardiboard and continue the wire up to above the mantle. I plan on having the display sitting up on the mantle when done. As the zero clearance outer can stays cold, I didn't see any issue here. All holes are sealed with permatex & final mortar/stonework will seal the wire into the face. I will post pictures for others as I fould little guidance and actually the 44 Elite instructions would be better if they were just removed from the installation manual as the information is old and the drawing isn't a good representation of what is actually there.

I would like to see some pictures sound like you did a nice job on the install. I have a 36 elite that I installed last year, and my instructions that came with the unit make no mention of any catalytic thermometer install. However I did download the newest manual off travis's site and it mentions a cat therm even has a picture, but no install instructions...wth is going on lol.

Also you might not want to make that thermocouple wire to permanent as they do tend to need replacing quite often from being subjected to heat cool cycles all the time.

Will do. I'll take some pics and upload later. I thought about the wire replacement, now I think I will upgrade it with a piece of flex tubing going up the face so I can pull a new wire through the same path by using the old when it is time to replace. Thanks for the idea!

OK, here are the pics from my 44 Elite'sCondar probe install. The rep at Condar was very helpful in helping me get by the misleading instructions that came with the fireplace. The shot showing the probe in front of the catalyst shows that clearly it will not fit. My probe is supported by the back end being inserted into the thru hole which is drilled close to the probe's diameter, Permatex'ed to keep in in place. I would never have taken a screwdriver to open up the catalyst as was told to another user which I saw in another post. The only other thing I will do is to run tubing up the face as previously mentioned so I can pull any future replacement probewire thru even after the stonework is cemented over the top of it.

Attachments

• FPX44 thermometer probe question
    20160224_183055.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 252
    20160224_183221.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 231
    20160224_183124.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 221
    20160224_183106.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 222
    20160224_183244.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 231
    20160221_194725.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: FoxTrotBoogie
Hi Larry. Your zero clearance FPX looks absolutely gorgeous - you should be proud!

The stonework looks awesome and I always love how classic and timeless the arched ZC units look - especially compared to many of the squared / modern looking models currently on the market.

Kudos to a job well done - this to me is the perfect balance of looks, space preservation and heat production. Are you enjoying your FPX44 so far?

Matt

Hi Larry. Your zero clearance FPX looks absolutely gorgeous - you should be proud!

The stonework looks awesome and I always love how classic and timeless the arched ZC units look - especially compared to many of the squared / modern looking models currently on the market.

Kudos to a job well done - this to me is the perfect balance of looks, space preservation and heat production. Are you enjoying your FPX44 so far?

Matt
Thank you so much for that! It was a lot of work & a great experience, I learned how to cut stone as well. Working on it just on weekends and evenings dragged it out for quite a while, but I started using it as soon as I had the Durarock on it and the hearth. I love the fireplace & am so glad my Wife settled on that one! I have 5 acres of white oak and have plenty of wood processed just by cleaning up the property for the last three years. Heat is great- it heats most of the main floor & opposite of the fireplace is the stairway to the upstairs- the heat flows right up and heats 2nd floor quite well. I highly recommend this stove!

That is a beautiful fireplace install. I am getting an FPX large insert. How do these compare to the ZC fireplace you have? Does the fan work with ductwork of the house? Nice job.

Mine is not tied into the ductwork, It just pulls the outside air in with the blower via a 7" duct & just exhausts it into the living room. I have ceiling fans running and the heat moves itself around. We like large, open rooms and this house has them. Lack of walls makes it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.