Francesca problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MiniMich

Dec 21, 2018
Western Massachusetts
I posted a week or so ago and you were a great help so here goes problem number 2: I cleaned my month old Francesca again today and started her back up. I noticed soon as I started it up that I could smell "smoke" or burning pellets. I know that sounds weird because I AM burning pellets, but I've never actually smelled it
I left for the day and just got home and the stove is making a buzzing/humming sound different than normal and I can't touch it! It is extremely hot. I can't even touch the lid to fill the pellets! The sides, everything I can't touch for more than a few seconds. I shut it down it's scaring me so badly.....I can't tell if it was blowing or just immense ambient heat but i couldn't stand near it. Same settings as it's been on since I bought it.

If the "room" blower (it blows the room air over the heat exchanger, out of the front of the stove) is not running, or with a blocked airflow, the stove body would get hotter than normal, but the controller would then throttle back the pellet feed, issuing a "Hot Smokes" alarm. The Hot Smokes cool-off is tripped by excessively high exhaust temperatures (the stove has an exhaust temperature sensor). If the stove were really overheating the safety thermostat would trip, shutting the whole stove off.

Sounds like the buzzing/humming sound might be a binding or slow running room blower....bad bearings?....or the triac on the control board (controls the speed of the room blower by adjusting the 110VAC fed to the motor) is bad.

I had it serviced today. It was a faulty blower/motor. And now that it's working properly, I don't think it was from the start. What a difference.....! I was told I was just the 2% that had an issue like this so suddenly. All better. Still unsure how hot it would have gotten before it finally shut down on it's own. At any rate, I'm glad to have her back....

I had it serviced today. It was a faulty blower/motor. And now that it's working properly, I don't think it was from the start. What a difference.....! I was told I was just the 2% that had an issue like this so suddenly. All better. Still unsure how hot it would have gotten before it finally shut down on it's own. At any rate, I'm glad to have her back....
Great news I love my Reveille

Reactions: MiniMich

Glad you’re back up. My Francesca had a bad auger motor right out of the box. It initially ran ok but made a buzzing noise when feeding pellets. Not knowing what normal was, it ran ok for a couple of months until it failed completely taking out the main power fuse. After a bit of trouble shooting I replaced the gear motor with a Dayton equivalent and also fused the motor so it wouldn’t take down the control power if it failed. The new motor is completely silent now when feeding pellets. We have been very impressed with the heat output of this small unit.