Franklin Cast Products Scandia 315

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UBE FOX

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2010
Bucks County, PA
I have inherited a a Franklin Cast Products Scandia Model 315 wood stove. I have read some previous posts about the fate of the company, but have a few questions if anyone can offer info. First, a tag on the back say's it is to be used with an 8" chimney, but I have a 6" chimney...what are the problems that could result with the smaller pipe? Second, there is a sheetmetal damper on the back. Attached to the damper (but not mounted) is a chain & thermometer mechanism, plus there is sheetmetal bracket & two loose studs with threaded ends, none of these latter parts are mounted either...does anyone know how they should be mounted? Third, this is a side load unit that has a damper lever that prevents the side load door from opening unless the damper is closed. This doesn't seem right to me, but is this correct? If anyone wants to provide an email address I can send photos.

The side door should only open if the damper is open - handle horizontal

The sheet metal door should hinge on the two brackets and is pulled open by the chain which is attached to the handle thingy above. This is an air control.

Undersizing a flue usually results in poor(er) draft, smoke spillage and the like. It's also against code of that matters where you are.

I think this is Scandia's clone of the VC Defiant if that helps. There is a manual for Scandia stoves on hearth.com now but I don't remember where it is.

UBE FOX said:
Does the extra sheet metal bracket cover the handle? Will the stove overheat with the 6" pipe? Is it a fire hazard?

Not sure what you mean, but there is a small sheet metal shield that covers the bi-metallic spring assembly that controls the air intake flapper via the attached chain. It is there to keep the heat in so that the spring can expand properly at the right temps.

6" pipe should have the opposite effect, restricting the flow by almost 50% and likely reducing the amount of heat you can get out of that stove. You will likely have smoke spillout at startup/reload, and you may not be able to top load or use as a fireplace because of smoke issues. It all depends on how good the static draw is on the 6" chimney, and many factors can affect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.