Franklin type stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alexander L

Oct 31, 2014
SoCal Desert
Hi all! Been quite a while since I have posted in here, as I sold the last home that had a wood stove (Jotul F100)... which many of the great members here advised me on as I was installing.
Anyhow, I am in escrow on a home that has two wood stoves. One of the stoves has me thinking I am likely going to want to replace it. I believe it is a Portland Stove Foundry branded Franklin type stove. I did a little digging, and it looks like it is meant to be used similar to an open hearth fireplace? With a screen, I suppose... do I have that right? There is no viewing glass.
I see some evidence of smoke/soot on the rocks, so I assume this thing will smoke and puff.
Like I said... likely to be replaced, but was curious about operation and safety concerns. Any insight? Appreciated!
stove-1.pngstove-2.png

Have both stove chimney systems inspected. They may not be to code. Definitely not if the stove pipe goes up past the ceiling. Clearances look too close, especially if that is a stone veneer on wood stud wall.

The old franklins like this were leaky and best run like a fireplace with a screen. A modern replacement will burn a lot cleaner, use much less wood to produce better heat, and there will be a nice fire view.

Had the home inspection yesterday afternoon. The home inspector did call out clearances and safety issues for that stove. Said it wasn't the first Franklin type stove he had seen in the area. He recommended I get the local stove installer/service company out to further inspect the two stoves in the house. The other stove is a Blaze King Briarwood that may also have clearance issues concerning hearth size/shape and chimney length above roof. I will be posting another topic in the other appropriate area for clearance issues above the roof line. Appreciate the response, begreen.
Briarwood.jpg

I suspect the Franklin setup may take a complete redo if the chimney is also not up to code.

If the Briarwood has double-wall stove pipe and the side and rear shields installed then it may be ok. The corner clearance for that configuration is 9". This would be to the nearest combustibles which I am assuming are the studs in the wall behind the stove. That stove has a very wide door so the hearth protection in the front may be a bit skimpy on the sides in front of the door. It should be at least 16".

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking that the corner angle hearth construction, with the presence of carpet on the floor... may be incorrect. The walls behind the stone are brick/block. It is a masonry constructed house. Thanks again!

Had the home inspection yesterday afternoon. The home inspector did call out clearances and safety issues for that stove. Said it wasn't the first Franklin type stove he had seen in the area. He recommended I get the local stove installer/service company out to further inspect the two stoves in the house. The other stove is a Blaze King Briarwood that may also have clearance issues concerning hearth size/shape and chimney length above roof. I will be posting another topic in the other appropriate area for clearance issues above the roof line. Appreciate the response, begreen.
That looks like it could be a Fabco Briarwood. On the rear label, it will show Fabco or Blaze King. The gold trim piece on the top was never offered when we made them. It's possible dealer added it. If you near Wrightwood or Big Bear, then it's possible it's ours with a dealer in Hesperia. If not, more likely a Fabco.

BKVP, yes. Thank you for chiming in! It is a Fabco Briarwood BB. I snapped pics of the back label. Fabco is stated as the manufacturer. This house is in the Yucca Valley area, not too far from Big Bear or Hesperia.
I wonder if the gold trim around the door comes off? Will check next time I am at the home.
Fabco Briarwood.pngFabBriar.jpg