Freaking mice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
My very dependable hydraulic splitter wouldn't start. Eventually tracked it down to a chewed wire from the spark plug. New wire run, starts like the charm, like it always has. Honda GX340.
Beautiful weather here in north central NJ. Let the splitting begin.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I've been thankful lately to see snake molts in our equipment barn. Mice have damaged my equipment many times.
Although coming upon a snake unexpectedly has sometimes resulted in me screaming like a little girl, I still prefer the snakes to the mice.

A mouse was in the trap on top of the foundation in the basement when I returned from vacation a few weeks ago. Unusual to have a mouse this time of year.

Cut little buggers outside (Vole Here)

Attachments

• IMAG0045.JPG
    IMAG0045.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 165
We used to have a vole that would be right outside our den window. They are cute. Cats like watching him.

I'd like them more if they wouldn't destroy my lawn when we have snow cover.

Funny, i just caught a mouse over the weekend in the basement as well. Also up by the sill area. Haven't had any around for the last 3 months. Them little 7 stripe gophers ( chipmunks to some ) are driving me bats this year. I think they dug a den under the deck, so unless i take up several deck boards I can't get at it. 15ft x24 ft deck. They always dig right next to the foundation. At least, so far, I have not had a problem with wood chucks doing this. Girls got one last summer before it got started any appreciable amount and I found a den about 150 yards from the house with the front wheel of the tractor in the field a couple of weeks later. I keep a .223 , 22lr and the air rifle by the back door and 22lr pistol on the tractor- varmint control

Those Voles try to live inside come Winter. Posion works great. Gophers I have to smoke their holes or just shoot em. I keep m1 Carbine for that. I found 22lr too light and have to shoot them many time to finally kill them. Ar15 .223 overkill and ricochets off any small rocks. 30 Cal heavy and slow enough. Shot gun works well too, but not #1 Buckshot. Target Round is great.

Holy crap how big are the gophers if you can't kill them with a .22?
Killed 100s in hay fields when we were kids with .22 shorts. Head shot did the trick.
Had even more fun when i got older and was gifted a 10.22 Ruger,no more shorts so a body shot would take them out.

All I have ever used is a 22 long for groundhogs (what you call gophers)
shove them back in there hole and bury them no other hogs will move in
very few left in our hay fields or pastures. No more cattle with broken legs !!

They measure 325–410 mm (12.8–16.1 in) in length overall, with a tail measuring 80–116 mm (3.1–4.6 in). The hind feet measure 47–57 mm (1.9–2.2 in) and the ear 16–22.5 mm (0.63–0.89 in).

Urocitellus columbianus

Few Pounds I bet at least. Body shot with six 22lr won't stop them. Had one few years ago pop up under the HUSQVARNA Z54 Mower. It was ugly.

Attachments

• SUNP0016.JPG
    SUNP0016.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 126
22lr mushroom takes them down no matter where you hit them
never use full metal jacket target rounds just passes throw them.

Ground hogs up until a couple yeas ago the xyz things were protected unless a direct threat to a farmers cattle. How Pita or whom ever got that though I do not know but it has been rectified now. 7 stripe gophers aka chipmunks ( there is a 13 stripe variety as well ) gas em with lawn mower engine or similar. if you have one with the round tube type muffler otherwise have to get a bit more creative. Around my place airguns are not considered a firearm. Calibers range all the way up to .50 but got watch your distance as you do not have the velocity of the powder burners on the big calibers. Plenty smack down power though when you connect. ( these are your not everyday Crossman or Dasiy red rider rigs) .223 cheap ammo vs say a .22 hornet or others . Heard good things on the .17 rimfire much better accuracy than say a .22mag. but man those are tiny pills. Thing is with the air units I can hush them up quite a bit legally.

Another mouse found Mr. Jaws , yesterday

Had one in the pasture, hit him with at least 6 rounds from my 10-22, just stood there, you could hear the hits, thud.
head shot...

Had one in the pasture, hit him with at least 6 rounds from my 10-22, just stood there, you could hear the hits, thud.
My experience 60 plus years of shotting the furry critters
whether you hit them or are just close they head down there holes lickidy split
If he just stood there you were a mile off or he was dead

The voles tear up the yard, but nothing like the dog does hunting them. He will stand and look at the ground with his head cocked, start digging, and soon have another snack. He does not stop with the voles. Rabbits and squirrels are tasty tidbits too. Before chowing down, he pitches them around quite a bit. There is nothing left when he finishes. Even if I do not see him eat one, a couple of hours later I am made aware of it by a foul odor. Yet he sleeps with a cat. I thought the cat would look tasty to him too, but I guess not.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Not many groundhogs left close to the house, some still in the surrounding fields. 5 boxers take care of that problem. Once saw 3 of them all pulling on one they caught, tore his arse up quick