Free 20" Stihl chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I bought this on EBay and was listed as new and for .325 pitch 81 link .063. When I got it, it had been used at least once and some of the links were burred like it had come off the bar. I complained to the seller and got my money refunded and got to keep the chain. After I took the Dremel to it and cleaned up the links I discovered it was a 3/8 pitch 72 link.063 chain.
Its clean, it’s sharp, it moves smoothly in the bar, and I don’t think it’s ever been sharpened; it’s just the wrong pitch for my saw.

First person to contact me can have it for postage. It didn’t cost me anything (other than aggravation) so I thought I’d pay it forward.

And we have a winner:) !!
Mike from Maine.

First Id like to thank Greg H... Im so excited I never win anything!

And of course the administrators of Hearth.com for making this all possible. And the moderators for keeping us in check and on point. I hope I didnt forget anyone. I love you mom.

And of course the administrators of Hearth.com for making this all possible. And the moderators for keeping us in check and on point. I hope I didnt forget anyone. I love you mom.
LMAO

Do I hear $11?
Mike was first, so I 'll ship it out him tomorrow.

As a point of interest, what is the advantage/disadvantage of the 3/8 vs the .325 pitch?

LMAO...Okay.....my Coffee just shot out of my nose after reading this

Reactions: loon
Do I hear $11?

As a point of interest, what is the advantage/disadvantage of the 3/8 vs the .325 pitch?

Faster cutting. Just like .404 is faster than 3/8. Thing is, the larger the pitch, the bigger a chainsaw you need.

Do I hear $11?

.325 chain cuts a little slower, but it also doesn't grab as hard as a 3/8"......hence the reason its put on the majority of mid-range saws (most homeowners/occasional users fall in this category). Back in the day, the smaller saws came with 1/4"-.050 chain which was susceptible to wicked kickback (this chain is still prized among chainsaw carvers). Its hard to get nowadays. It was replaced by the 325 chain. .404 is widely used by the logging/timber industry because it can handle the dirt/junk alot better than 3/8".

$12 :p hahaha. I don't even have a use for a 20" loop, just wanted to mess with Mike.

Generally speaking .325" is for lower hp saws. .375" will cut more per pass of each tooth so takes a bit more power. And same for .404"

Do I hear $11?

Edit: Ok that's weird, like 4 people posting the same thing I just said while I was typing my post!

^^
If you could go 15 I'll see if I can get Gregg to drop ship it directly to you! :)

$12 :p hahaha. I don't even have a use for a 20" loop, just wanted to mess with Mike.

Generally speaking .325" is for lower hp saws. .375" will cut more per pass of each tooth so takes a bit more power. And same for .404"

Edit: Ok that's weird, like 4 people posting the same thing I just said while I was typing my post!

That is what happens in Alaska. The fingers get so cold you cannot type as fast as those of us down south. lol

. Its hard to get nowadays.

Actually, Stihl is getting back into the carving game with new bars and chains out in the last couple years. And the new MSE160 (cordless electric) is sportin' 1/4" chain. Cute lil' cutters on that puppy. ==c

The fact that the MSE160 is wearing 1/4" chain should mean most dealers will start stocking 12" - 14" loops of the stuff.

Reactions: ScotO
Oops... Sorry Mike. Just for fun I went down and mic'ed the drive links and they are .050 I thought since it slid nicely in the bar it was the same as mine.
Now I don't know what saw its for. It's definatly 3/8 (.375) and 72 links (I counted)

I'll PM you as well. Sorry to get you all excited.

Now I don't know what saw its for.​

Should work with a 20" bar on anything using a 3003 xxx xxx bar setup for 3/8ths. That's a big list. MS310/390, 036, MS361, MS440, MS460, etc. and so on.....

Should work with a 20" bar on anything using a 3003 xxx xxx bar setup for 3.8ths. That's a big list. MS310/390, 036, MS361, MS440, MS460, etc. and so on.....

Long list of big saws. lol I was going to post that earlier, but decided not to. Wasn't sure if 72 link was for 20" or 18" since my MS261 uses 72 links in .325.. Makes sense though that a higher pitch chain with the same number of links will fit a longer bar. Believe I am running 3/8 with 84 links on a 25" bar on my 660.

That size chain works with a lot of big 20" Husky stuff too. As long as you have an .050 bar and not .058. (Damn them and their .058 ;lol)

Probably the most common loop out there - 3/8" .050 72DL

Status
Not open for further replies.