Replacement chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I hit a wedge with the chainsaw. I assume the chain is n/g - for the heck of it I sharpened it but still produced a lot of very fine sawdust.

Bought a new Oregon brand chain today. I should have made note of the number of links. I got an 18" chain with 68 links, my saw calls or 72 links. The back of the package said it fits a Husqvarna 440E, mine is a 440. I don't know how critical that is, but here's what's strange. That chain was just too big, it was like it was made for a 20" bar. Exchanged it for model M72, although in my notes last time I used an MC72. That chain length was correct. When specs say 18", no matter how many links - the length should be 18", correct? Doesn't really matter since the specs call for 72 links and that's what is on there now, I just didn't think the chain would be too big. No way would the first one have fit - with the bar extended to it's max length the chain was way too long. Makes me wonder if it was packaged wrong.

Just checked the receipt for the model # of the first one - they are different pitches. Mine should be .325 the one I bought first, model LC68,
is .375".

Checked the Countyline Fitup guide. The LC68 is for a different Husqvarna model. Still specifies 18" though.

Last edited:
Are the bars the same width? Different diameter sprockets? Is the bar mounted the same distance from the sprocket?

I know nothing of Husky saws, these just seem reasonable explanations for different length chains for the same bar length.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Are the bars the same width? Different diameter sprockets? Is the bar mounted the same distance from the sprocket?

I know nothing of Husky saws, these just seem reasonable explanations for different length chains for the same bar length.

Countyline's reference don't have those particular specs, but the variables you mention likely account for the different chain length.
I'll know now that there are many types of 18" chains, exact specs are very significant. The first one I bought indicated it would fit model
440E, mine is a 400.

I'm thinking next time the town has a metal recycle program I'll bring the old chain since it's likely shot. What a big improvement with the new one. I'll need to be more careful. I hope the Countyline chain holds up, it was priced several dollars less than an Oregon chain I saw online.

I've never compared 2 bars that run different pitch chain, but I'll bet that the inch designation is a nominal measurement, and the actual diameter of bar+sprocket that the chain has to cover is different according to pitch (since the distance between links is different for each pitch) even on the same nominal size bar.

I don't think it would be safe to run the wrong pitch even if it did "fit", since the sprocket has to be sized to fit the chain pitch; if it isn't it will skip or at least cause bad wear on the chain and the sprocket.

FWIW, anytime I think anything is remotely wrong about my chain, I throw it in the steel recycle bin and put on a new one. Twenty dollars is a very, very small price to pay to make sure that the death whip I'm holding two feet from my femoral artery is as solid as it can be.

Reactions: MissMac
What a big improvement with the new one.
How are you sharpening. Old chains even those with teeth missing still can cut well, just that they have no life left.
The stamp on the bar would indicate correct chain to use for that bar, not necessarily model of saw.

You bought the wrong chain. Check your bar.... It's marked with all the info you need..

Note my Husqvarna bar marks. 72 drive links, .325 pitch, .050 guage...

20191221_182726.jpg

More chain info here....... https://bestofmachinery.com/what-do-the-numbers-on-a-chainsaw-chain-mean/

Good luck!

ErikR

Happy New Year! I file manually, 6 or 8 times on each link in one direction. Last time I did I noticed an improvement. But maybe time for a new file? The only bar stamp that could be clearly seen w as '517', then upon looking closer I saw everything else. Had to use a bright light as I'm not young. None of the stamping is black on mine, all the same color as the chain so very hard to see.

I have the correct chain now, the first one I bought was wrong and I exchanged it. The chain specs match my bar's specs. My bar is the exact same one as pictured in ErikR's post. Thanks for that tip. I assume when the saw was new it was legible.

Reactions: ErikR
And from the link ErikR posted "Since the overall length of a chainsaw chain is determined by using a combination of pitch and the number of drive links" - explains why an 18" label on the package doesn't necessarily mean it's the right chain for any 18" bar.

Thanks for the good information there.

Reactions: ErikR
And from the link ErikR posted "Since the overall length of a chainsaw chain is determined by using a combination of pitch and the number of drive links" - explains why an 18" label on the package doesn't necessarily mean it's the right chain for any 18" bar.

Thanks for the good information there.

You are quite welcome!

So many different combinations of pitch, gauge, and drive links...

Reactions: SpaceBus