free immense truck radiator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
OK- in my scrounging travels, I came across a really immense truck radiator that looks as if it came out of a big over the road truck. Aluminum core and nylon-reinforced fiberglass end/tanks. I don't need it for myself, as I already have all the HX's that I need. But it was free, and it looks like something that could be a bonanza for someone willing to fiddle with it for a water-air HX, so, instead of letting it go into the crusher, it came home in the back of my truck. I have not tested it, and don't really have time to unless/ until it finds an application, but it is cosmetically in surprisingly good shape.

Free, on an as- is, where- is basis. PM me if you might want it.

I've heard in other contexts that there can be corrosion issues using aluminum parts in a system containing iron and copper - the Al acts as a sacrificial anode and gets eaten up... However it does sound like a potentially interesting item for use as a shop heater or the legendary "hydronic clothes dryer"... In terms of Bondo's issue, that's what they make throttling valves for...

Gooserider

Bondo said:
Ayuh,... There's a Major problem using a truck radiator,...
I had an ole Mack in the backyard, We cut it apart, taking the radiator, it's supports,+ the front 1' of the hood, including the headlights,+ grill...
We then mounted the Whole thing on the wall of a Bud's shop(Ayuh, it looks pretty Cool),... Plumbed in the water from his OWB,+ put a 20" boxfan behind it....
That's when the Trouble started,.... It works Way to Good...
The OWB was Roaring at Full tilt,+ the house was pretty much Stone Cold....Although it was plenty Toasty in the Shop...

sounds liek you bud shoulda added a tstat and the shop on its own loop and he woulda been in the butter zone.

My neighbor has a truck rad in his shop, fed from his OWB. He says it works like a charm but he's only been using it for 11 years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.