Free-standin stove in fireplace clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joetal17

Jan 28, 2009
CT
We're moving to a new bigger house and I'd like to install a wood stove. I've been running an Avalon Pendleton free-standing for the past three years at our current 1100 sqft. house and love it. I couldn't have done the install without all the help I found here.

The new house is a 2400 sqft. saltbox style with a masonry (cement block/clay liner/stone facing) fireplace in the cathedral portion. It's on an outside wall at one end of the house. I'd prefer a free-standing stone versus an insert. I don't like the look of insert as much or the idea of a fan being necessary.

Is it just a matter of finding a stove that will fit in the fireplace opening? Do I have to worry about any clearances other than the floor in front of the stove?

Thanks in advance.

A freestanding stove deep in the fireplace is going to need a blower to improve convection. With that tall ceiling and a cold outside chimney I would consider placing the stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace opening instead. Whether this is possible or not will depend on the height of the fireplace opening. Another option is to install a good insert but leave off the surround. You will also need ceiling fans. Without them heat will stratify up at the peak of the ceiling.

A freestanding stove deep in the fireplace is going to need a blower to improve convection. With that tall ceiling and a cold outside chimney I would consider placing the stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace opening instead. Whether this is possible or not will depend on the height of the fireplace opening. Another option is to install a good insert but leave off the surround. You will also need ceiling fans. Without them heat will stratify up at the peak of the ceiling.

The fireplace opening is a little over 29 inches high which I've seen is close to the height of a lot of stoves. The opening is 35 inches wide. The hearth extends about 20 inches from the front of the fireplace. There are ceiling fans in place.

I love my Avalon so maybe my best option would be an Olympic insert without the surrounds?

My current stove was found used so I was trying to scour used stoves again. I guess my main question was is it OK to squeeze any stove into that opening or do I need to worry about clearances to the fireplace sides and top?

The 29" height is going to limit you because it is lower than some stove's rear exit flue height. A Woodstock Progress Hybrid with the short leg kit should just fit though.

The Olympic is a strong heater. Also in this class would be the Regency 3100 and the Osburn 2400 inserts.

The 29" height is going to limit you because it is lower than some stove's rear exit flue height. A Woodstock Progress Hybrid with the short leg kit should just fit though.

The Olympic is a strong heater. Also in this class would be the Regency 3100 and the Osburn 2400 inserts.

Thank you for the suggestions. Is the Olympic insert the same as the freestanding stove without the legs? If I found a used Olympic stove could I just remove the legs and sit it on the hearth?

Status
Not open for further replies.