Free standing heat shield thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Everhard

Sep 9, 2014
Ontario
Hello all, looking for some thoughts, comments:

Situation: (Current) Drolet Austal functioning happily in a room with a flagstone floor, meets all codes for placement from rear and closest side wall is 4 feet away.

(Future need for heat shield): I want to place a floor standing speaker within that 4 foot space (In other words between the side wall and the wood stove) and I don't want to stuff the speaker tight against the side wall and I also don't want to subject the speaker to the heat of the wood stove even if it's at the limit away from the stove that is acceptable by Drolet's manufacture spec.

So I need a free standing heat shield - I'm curious to see any pictures if anyone has a free standing shield?

Right now I'm considering all ideas - metal (I can weld so can make pretty much anything I want within reason.) - Free standing board with tile is another option I'm considering.

Want it to look good is important. I think I'll end up mirroring what I do so both sides look the same.

Thanks,
E.

The Baltic is essentially the Austral with decorative side panels. The side panels cut the side clearance in half. I'm not sure if the Baltic panels can be hung on the Austral, but if so, that would be a clean looking solution. Otherwise a freestanding shield would work. It could be a sheet of cement board tiled on both sides, or a frame with metal sheathing. You'd need to work out a base so that it is not tipity.

I have the Drolet one next to my stove now. It was around $100 and works like it should. It is a bit flimsy but it is a folding three panel design so it does support itself just fine when standing.

I have the Drolet one next to my stove now. It was around $100 and works like it should. It is a bit flimsy but it is a folding three panel design so it does support itself just fine when standing.

I looked at their website - how big are the sides on that shield? What I see on their site says 10.5" which wouldn't cover enough of the side for what I am looking for. want something that I'll place on an angle will reach to be in line with the front edge of the stove.

E

Im not positive but im thinking the distance to combustibles is 3 ft on the Austral from what i recall. I could be wrong, but my walls are at the 3 ft mark.

If this is the original Austral then the rear clearance with single-wall stove pipe is 15" and side clearance is 23". It's a good idea to shield the speaker from the heat even it is outside the 23" range. If this is a floor standing speaker one option would be to have a metal shield for the speaker that uses the weight of the speaker to hold it in place. This might be L shaped so that the foot of the shield sits under the speaker.

Last edited:
I looked at their website - how big are the sides on that shield? What I see on their site says 10.5" which wouldn't cover enough of the side for what I am looking for. want something that I'll place on an angle will reach to be in line with the front edge of the stove.

E
That’s correct. The sides are 10.5”.

Well I'll attempt making a set of shields, I'm confident I can make legs that will be stable. I haven't seen any off the shelf stands that are big enough.

E.