Free Standing Stove to Constructing an Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jds015

Mar 4, 2013
NW NC
Hi all! We currently have a Drolet Savannah and are in the process of planning some renovations thus summer. We would like to somehow construct a firebox where we can insert a fireplace insert to connect up with our existing triple wall chimney where the Drolet vents. We do not have a fireplace currently, so we would need to essentially cut a hole in the wall, construct a box where the insert could sit and vent it straight up into our existing chimney. I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar, and I also want to make sure we can construct the box to meet any requirements to install the insert. The insert will obviously need to be insulated itself or have some other form of construction where it is safe. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of doing such a thing? Thanks!

You can’t safely install a wood burning fireplace insert without having a fireplace. There ARE options if you want a pellet burner. If you want something contained within a wall, you need to look at EPA rated ZC fireplaces, like the Heat & Glo Northstar. You will probably need to replace ALL the venting, as well.

Thank you for the response. I'm looking to frame out an area and basically construct a fireplace in order to install a zero clearance insert. Ideally, I'm looking for a 6" vent, but can go with a reducer from 8" to 6" if needed. Just curious if anyone has any experience in doing this.

Inserts can only installed in code compliant masonry fireplaces. And then only according to the appliance’s manual. A free standing stove can only be installed according to the manual and if the manual does allow a hearth install it will probably say the fireplace must meet code. The stove may be permitted in an alcove.

My interpretation of what you have proposed is neither a code compliant masonry fireplace nor alcove. Therefore not permitted. my understanding of what you have proposed presents serious safety risk and would negate the UL listing of your appliance resulting in your house basics being un-insurable. I don’t want to come across as inconsiderate just laying out the reality of your proposed project. Read your manual and understand it. It spells out what you can don. Anything else voids UL listing.

Hope that help.

Evan

Inserts can only installed in code compliant masonry fireplaces. And then only according to the appliance’s manual. A free standing stove can only be installed according to the manual and if the manual does allow a hearth install it will probably say the fireplace must meet code. The stove may be permitted in an alcove.

My interpretation of what you have proposed is neither a code compliant masonry fireplace nor alcove. Therefore not permitted. my understanding of what you have proposed presents serious safety risk and would negate the UL listing of your appliance resulting in your house basics being un-insurable. I don’t want to come across as inconsiderate just laying out the reality of your proposed project. Read your manual and understand it. It spells out what you can don. Anything else voids UL listing.

Hope that help.

Evan
I appreciate the feedback and totally understand what everyone is saying. What we propose to do is construct a new fireplace for a zero clearance fireplace. We do not intend to keep using the freestanding stove in any way. It will be removed. It appears there are a number of zero clearance fireplaces on the market, and again, we would be constructing a new firebox in which to enclose it, giving us the ability to construct a proper structure for it, with venting that would be to code. I'm curious does anyone have experience with the zero clearance fireplaces and their heat output. I have spoken with a technical representative from Woodland Direct as well and they seemed to understand my goals and agree it is possible and safe with available zero clearance fireplaces. All agree we are not looking at a fireplace insert, as we need a masonry hearth and chimney for this. I apologize if my terminology above was misleading. Thanks.

Reactions: EbS-P
If you're following the manufacturer requirements for a zero clearance fireplace, you're probably fine. I do have to ask, though, why are you looking to do this? It seems like it will take up more room plus require a blower, which makes it less resilient to power outages plus you lose the top of the stove for cooking/heating food/humidifying.

We had a Flame Monaco EPA ZC stove installed a few years ago. You don't make a firebox around it, it's just regular framing.

We replaced a prefab fireplace. The old flue had to be removed from the chase and a new one that met the stove maker's specs installed. In our case the entire surround around the old fireplace was removed and a new one made. We utilized some of the closet space behind the stove to move the stove back and gain floor space in the room.

While our ZC works well for us, if I could have fit a free standing stove without taking up too much of an already too small room, I'd have done that. There's a lot more choice in free standing stoves. The ZC requires a fan to be running (though when I asked the manufacturer what happens if the power goes out, they said not to worry). If for whatever reason we want to replace the ZC stove, we'll likely need to reconstruct the surround around a new one as it would be a different size.

Part of the issue is with the terms being used. One creates a framed chase for a ZC, not a firebox. A firebox is what is inside of the ZC fireplace. It's where the firewood burns.

Make sure that your chimney pipe is in good condition and specced as compatible with the new ZC fireplace. Do you know what the make/model of the chimney pipe is? How old is the chimney pipe? There are models that use a 6" flue. All the PE fireplaces use 6".