Free Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
So a family member called and said they had a wood stove they needed removed so they could put in a gas heater and that they would give it to whoever removed it. So I went over and got it out to find it is a Black Bart in less than great condition.

I have been wanting an outdoor fireplace and I think that this will be the new use for this stove.

I am wondering if anyone else has repurposed an old stove for this and how it has worked out.

I have had a few old stoves as outdoor fireplaces. A couple vc defiants and aschrader, now i have a franklin stove they deteriorate pretty quickly out side but they typically last a few years then i scrap them. Which i would have scrapped them either way so i get some use out of them first.

I would like to attach a few feet of pipe to keep the smoke exhaust above eye level but a prefab rectangle to round boot is too pricey for this set up. Have you used any pipe on your set up?

I would like to attach a few feet of pipe to keep the smoke exhaust above eye level but a prefab rectangle to round boot is too pricey for this set up. Have you used any pipe on your set up?
yeah they dont really work at all if you dont

I had some free time yesterday evening and I did an outside burn. I used some old blocks stacked around the rectangle top vent and stuck 6 ft of old 6"stove pipe on it just as a temporary set up to see how it would work. While burning I got significant smoke roll out probably 30-50% out of the front. Is that to be expected when using a stove in this fashion or would spending the money fabricating a boot and using 8" pipe help the situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.