free wood ELM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Just went to a friend's house and hauled back a load of elm and I can't split it with my 5-ton electric. I am located in Carver, MA and I want it gone right away and I am giving it away. PM me and I will call you and tell you where I am.. Hate to do this as my son and I busted ass cutting, loading and unloading my truck but this requires a real splitter and I am guessing 20-ton+ splitter to do the job..

Ray

raybonz said:
Just went to a friend's house and hauled back a load of elm and I can't split it with my 5-ton electric. I am located in Carver, MA and I want it gone right away and I am giving it away. PM me and I will call you and tell you where I am.. Hate to do this as my son and I busted ass cutting, loading and unloading my truck but this requires a real splitter and I am guessing 20-ton+ splitter to do the job..

Ray

Is renting a splitter not a option.

zap

zapny said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Is renting a splitter not a option.

zap

Hey Zap!
Quite honestly it is not worth my time as I have many other things to do here. I know many are unemplyed etc. and would appreciate this so I would rather give it away.. I know this is decent firewood I just don't have the time to play with it.. Hope I get a reply soon and I'll cut my losses..

Ray

Might try PMing Dune...I think he is on the cape, and I think he has a large splitter.

What variety of ELM is it? Domestic or foreign? Maybe you could sell it on Craigs.... ;-)

daveswoodhauler said:
Might try PMing Dune...I think he is on the cape, and I think he has a large splitter.

Thanx i will see if he logs in soon.

Ray

CJRages said:
What variety of ELM is it? Domestic or foreign? Maybe you could sell it on Craigs.... ;-)

I think it is american elm, very white wood and pretty heavy too.. Should be decent firewood..

Ray

Hey Ray, load that stuff up and bring it on over. I'll split it for free for you!

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Ray, load that stuff up and bring it on over. I'll split it for free for you!

Thanx Dennis!
You're only a hop, skip and 1000 mile leap from here lol.. My daughter said she will take it on the plane when she visits her friend in Michigan too.. Sometimes no help is the best help one can get :p

Ray

Well, good luck in getting rid of it. You are right about needing a good splitter. We do well with our 20 ton but I'd hate to have anything lower than 20 ton. And as I've stated many times, splitting the stuff is another reason we usually don't cut elm until it is dead and all or most of the bark has fallen off. Then you can split most of it with a splitting maul and some with just an axe.

Hey raybonz, have your daughter drop some off here in North West Ohio too and I'll tackle some of it for the exercise, lol... I've had some Elm that was so tough I took it and put it in the back of my van and threw it in the dumpster. And thats with a 20 ton splitter. It can be some nasty stuff, gods way of showing woodburners who boss.

I hear you rabonz, I cut some elm lately and I only use a maul and a fiskars. I finally met my match, the more you chop the harder it gets, like mush and string. I am going to leave that stuff lie from now on. I was able able to split some of it, but I left the pieces big.

raybonz said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Ray

Pretty sure he works away from home all week, so you might not hear from him until the weekend.

daveswoodhauler said:
raybonz said:
daveswoodhauler said:

Ray

Pretty sure he works away from home all week, so you might not hear from him until the weekend.

I did recieve one PM from someone here that lives next town over so he will get 1st dibs.. Thanx for the info..

Ray

andybaker said:
Hey raybonz, have your daughter drop some off here in North West Ohio too and I'll tackle some of it for the exercise, lol... I've had some Elm that was so tough I took it and put it in the back of my van and threw it in the dumpster. And thats with a 20 ton splitter. It can be some nasty stuff, gods way of showing woodburners who boss.

Andy that's not exercise that's self abuse lol.. My 5 ton electric just bounced off this stuff! A big splitter with a full stroke is needed.. I will not take Elm again for any reason.. From what I've read it isn't a bad firewood once you get it split and seasoned .. Makes me appreciate oak that's for sure lol..

Ray

I kinda like elm, the stringy stuff lights very easy when dry but I also use a 35 ton splitter. It also seems to dry faster than most wood. Defiantly not wood of choice though.

Raybonz, any hits yet??

I can come down w/my splitter and we can divi it up if you want, with all time/work you have into it...... no sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Elm can be a problem, some times I cut it very short (12 inches or so) let it dry quite a bit and then it will usually split much better, like woodmaster said it starts easily and is pretty good wood but not always fun to work up it to something you can use.

Werm said:
Raybonz, any hits yet??

I can come down w/my splitter and we can divi it up if you want, with all time/work you have into it...... no sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Hi Werm,
I already promised the elm to someone here from Middleboro unless he changes his mind.. Wish I heard from you earlier as that would be awesome! BTW how do you like your Cub Cadet splitter? I have a self propelled mower made by them that works well and was reasonably priced.. Where in Mass. are you located maybe you can drop in sometime for a couple beers..

Ray

Love the Cub Cadet, it's basically an MTD type w/a Honda mtr, pretty much unstoppable (so far)!

I'm in Attleboro and work in Franklin, which side of Carver you on?

Werm said:
Love the Cub Cadet, it's basically an MTD type w/a Honda mtr, pretty much unstoppable (so far)!

I'm in Attleboro and work in Franklin, which side of Carver you on?

If you know Carver at all I am located about 1 mile west of town center (down the street from Cumberland Farms Plaza in the center of town near Middleboro).. My oldest daughter works in Plainville not far from you for CSI construction.. As for the Honda motors I've never heard anything bad about them.. Attleboro would have been a ride for you for sure.. Thanx for the splitting offer I ended up ripping it all with a chainsaw as the subterranian termites here find wood on the ground in no time flat and found the wood already but no damage or problems found.. I waste no time getting wood off the ground here for that reason if nothing else..

Ray

I've got the same issue, I even find them under stones, blocks...hate those things

Werm said:
I've got the same issue, I even find them under stones, blocks...hate those things

Even worse are the carpenter ants! I have been fighting them for over 20 years! Took out my old dishwasher 2 weeks ago and found a massive amount destoying my log wall.. Exterminator took care of that for me and I fixed a couple water seepage problems before I installed the new dishwasher..

Ray

i should check the baord more often in the summer

Ray i'd let you use my big splitter as i'm down your way a LOT in the summer BUT i really hate towing the thing

I kind of like elm . . . got me through my first season of burning since I had done the typical newbie woodburner thing . . . started looking at woodstoves and getting wood in the summer before I was going to burn . . . having a bunch of standing dead elm really bailed me out since it was pretty dry.

Sure it may split pretty hard and be all stringy when fresh cut, but when it's standing dead-dead (bark falling off) splitting it isn't too bad . . . most of the time.

This said . . . I wouldn't want to go at it without a hydraulic splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.