Freestanding in bedroom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael6268 said:
GVA said:
Codes for bedrooms can be a bit quirky here's a little electrical one for you. About 8 years ago all outlets in bedrooms were required to be protected by either GFCI or a GFCB..... More recently about 3 years that code now requires these outlets to be AFCI. Does anyone out there have these?????? Nope but you should....... :-/
Ground faults and Arc faults their not just for kitchens and baths anymore :)

I do! I n the new master bedroom. Had to after Oct 2004. Again, not to be against code, but cant say I really agree understand the "logic" behind the Arc fault protector in bedrooms. I do understand what they do and how they work, and probably would be a benefit for the whole house to have them, but why is it necessary in a bedroom and not a hall/dining room, living room etc. I understand that you are sleeping there and it protects you, but in my case I have two ways out of my bedroom. The stairs or the window which is on the second floor. At the bottom of the stairs is my living room, so the unprotected living room could be stoking up one hell of a fire and Im still in trouble upstairs. I asked the inspector the reasoning behind it and he jokingly said, "I dont know, maybe they feel the bed might be a rockin and damage a lamp cord or somethin"!

I have the AFCI breakers, I have to put them in my sub panel for the breezeway addition. I honestly have never heard of the AFCI outlets.

Yeah I put the breaker. I dont think they have outlets. But I suppose maybe they do. I would think you could wire it to protect the circuit the same way GFI's do.

HarryBack said:
COMBUSTION AIR

M1701.4 Prohibited sources.
Combustion air shall not be obtained from an area in
which flammable vapors present a hazard. Fuel-fired appliances
shall not obtain combustion air from any of the following
rooms or spaces:
1. Sleeping rooms.
2. Bathrooms.
3. Toilet rooms.

hmmm.....heres a hijack......and Im cringing before I say this....howza bout you bring in outside air for combustion? I know you cant put a pellet stove in a Mobile Home bedroom, but as far as I know, with the Harmans anyways, you can do it as long as you bring in outside air........

I thought harmans could go in mobile homes as well as large bedrooms 220 sq feet or more W/outside air?

Webmaster said:
elkimmeg said:
Craig If I posted the entire Internation codes you server would be down permanetly from over load, plus with a 6000 character
limit, I would have to post every 20 minuts for the next month to get all
Ok the 2" code they refer to mind if I put it in my own words?
In the situation of combustion air, ajoining rooms may be counted in the vollume if they can comunicate with one another. If a wood louver door is installed
one has to calculate the free air passage capabilities.
for every 1000 appliance imput btus, 50 cubic feet of combustion air is needed. If the room space is not enough vollume then there are two solutions an outside air feed or getting it

OK, so the guy with a 500 square foot room and 15 ft (we'll use 12 ft) in case it is sloped, would have 6,000 Cubic Feet, or enough air to support 120,000 BTU. (2,000 BTU for every 100 CF).

So a nice little Nordic QT, which maxes out at 27,000 BTU would be no problem. Even being VERY conservative and cutting the figures in 1/2 would be a mid-size stove of 60-70,000 MAX, which is usually running at 20-30K anyway.

Does that sound like a good call?

I would personally not put a pellet stove in my own sleeping area, but that is because of experiences I have had with hopper burn back, etc. - And I think smell and dust could be an issue...perhaps even more than with woodstove because of the loading, cleaning, scraping, etc.
Hopper burn back? would you elaborate a little bit .... what stove how and how often does this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.