Fresh air intake closed yet too much air in the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

omcmurph

Jan 15, 2022
Ott away
Newby here.
I’d like to hear the views of you guys’ opinions about this dilemma I have. We have recently given a used enviro ef3 bay freestanding pellet stove. After I have installed the stove I have noticed it runs even when I manually block the fresh air intake with aluminum tape. If I remove the tape the flame is almost torch like and I can tell it’s oxygen rich. Where does an air tight pellet stove draw all this air? Through pellet hopper? I’d like install a fresh air intake and stove to use outside air yet there’s no point if it’s going to burn this rich. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What happens if you close the damper on the left side of the stove?
The rod with the black knob
Note a pellet stove is not air-tight!

Reactions: Mt Bob
What happens if you close the damper on the left side of the stove?
The rod with the black knob
Note a pellet stove is not air-tight!
Good question. Damper handle is stuck/stiff. I assume it’s preset and locked but I haven’t opened the side panel to see.. yet..

As said, not all fresh air tubes are "connected" or direct to the fire box. Yours is unsealed, the pipe you see feeds a unsealed box, which basically just dumps air into the bottom of the stove.