Fresh Air Intake Location Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JFouch

Feb 19, 2021
New England
My pellet stove is in the mudroom between my house and garage. Can I pull in the fresh air from my “drafty” garage or does it need to come from outside?

You can pull air from the drafty garage. You’re still getting the benefit of not pulling air out of the house.

If your garage is heated, keep in mind you’ll be pulling heated air out.

But I would first check with the local building inspector. When my dad built his attached garage, they told him he had to relocate his dryer vent which was now in the garage, because you couldn’t have permanently open penetrations in the fire wall between the house and garage.

You do not want to pull from your garage, its against most building codes as the garage has to be 100% sealed from main house. Reason being is do do not want to be pulling any fumes that may be in garage into the house. Especially when you have flames involved

You do not want to pull from your garage, its against most building codes as the garage has to be 100% sealed from main house. Reason being is do do not want to be pulling any fumes that may be in garage into the house. Especially when you have flames involved

That is a very good point. Not just maintaining separation in case of a fire, but not causing one to begin with. If a car parked in the garage starts leaking gas or a gas can spills, you don’t want those fumes to meet the flames of your stove.

So yes, the stove will breathe well, but it’s not a good idea even if the building inspector happens to allow it.