From 8” chimney pipe to 6”pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNWwoodstove

Dec 10, 2018
WA
50923A87-FD29-4813-BE19-22D9E245A59C.jpeg BDAEE851-0B10-4954-84C9-6E3AA5B202FF.jpeg
Hi, I picked up Vermont Castings Defiant Encore woodstove that had 8 inch piece of pipe with it. Although the opening in the stove is oval shape, I found the reducer to 6” in “Costal” for my particular stove. It’s an daapter from oval shape hole that fits 6 inch pipe.
The newer version of Vermont castings “defiant encore Flexburn” has the same size ovale opening and same size wood stove but it’s built with 6”pipe.
My plan is to order that adapter and put it on my current woodstove, what are some of the contra indications if I go with a 6 inch double wall pipe ?
(My pipe will go straight up through the roof, single story rambler)

Some people on the forum said that it will reduce the draft, my other friend installed an adapter the reducing from 8 to 6 inch and he said his stove works just fine.

The stove spec specifies an 8" flue. Going to a 6" flue likely further compromise draft and operation due to a 1 story house. For an 8" flue system the height shouldn't be less than 16'.

The stove spec specifies an 8" flue. Going to a 6" flue likely further compromise draft and operation due to a 1 story house. For an 8" flue system the height shouldn't be less than 16'.

I see your point, my curiosity is that the new Defiance stoves (same size and BTU’s) have the (same size oval opening as my older one) yet they have 6 inch pipe built into them in the store. Meaning these types of stoves are compatible with 6” according to the new standarts, otherwise they would stick to the same 8” size?

I think you are referring to a newer model and design under a new ownership. One has to go by what the mfg's tested guidance is. It might work in your situation, but it also might not. If it doesn't work and poor burning and a lot of puffbacks happen, the results may be disturbing.

Something to consider is that your stove options on 6" are large. If you don't have much in the VC? You have all sorts of stove's to consider that run on 6" Far more than 8" Just a thought. Good luck!

View attachment 235434 View attachment 235433
Hi, I picked up Vermont Castings Defiant Encore woodstove that had 8 inch piece of pipe with it. Although the opening in the stove is oval shape, I found the reducer to 6” in “Costal” for my particular stove. It’s an daapter from oval shape hole that fits 6 inch pipe.
The newer version of Vermont castings “defiant encore Flexburn” has the same size ovale opening and same size wood stove but it’s built with 6”pipe.
My plan is to order that adapter and put it on my current woodstove, what are some of the contra indications if I go with a 6 inch double wall pipe ?
(My pipe will go straight up through the roof, single story rambler)

Some people on the forum said that it will reduce the draft, my other friend installed an adapter the reducing from 8 to 6 inch and he said his stove works just fine.

That looks a lot like our newly retired VC Encore (2550, I think). Our manual specified an 8" chimney if you ran it with the doors open and the spark screen inserted. Otherwise 6" chimney is OK. We went with an 8" chimney when we installed the VC.

Not sure which model. I was guessing it as the model 2140.