Frost coming how to protect the deck flowers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
The weather says 32 and frost Sunday and Monday nights. We have a deck full of summer flowers. We are not here during the week, so my plan. Drape a 2 Mil clear plastic from the deck railing to a table. This will create a space 8' x 6' and 4' high. It can be open or closed on the sides? The deck is 8' off the ground. Put all the plants under it for 5 days.

What do you Gardner's think, will this be enough to protect the plants?

Reactions: DevilsBrew
You can string incandescent christmas lights thought them and cover with plastic.

Blankets, we have to leave them covered 5 days. Kind of recall plastic over them is a cold frame thing. Only thing it's not on the ground. I like the idea of lights to take the chill off.

Plant guy on the radio here is saying cardboard box over night and off in the morning or old sheer drape material over them. Seems it is the same as the fabric sold professionally for it.

I wonder if we could find boxes large enough to cover our fruit trees?

Reactions: BrotherBart
Sounds good if your deck is getting a lot of sun. What kind of plants /have they been hardened off will be the real variable I think.

Covered all my stuff in burlap tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.