Frosty Window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potter

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
western NY
I'm getting a buildup of an opaque colorless 'frosty" coating on my oslo glass. Was able to scrub some off easily with newspaper- but didn't want to scratch it. Less worried about the visual thing than what it says about my burning. No black or Carbon, what carbon does occasionly occur burns away when I crank it up.

Sounds like ash.

I get the haze, too. I doubt there is much worry of scratching ceramic with a newspaper, though. The film that forms on my glass wipes right away with a damp newspaper. Little to no actual 'scrubbing' required.

Potter,

I think you'll find that most Oslo users have this problem. My haze wipes off with just water and I clean once every couple of weeks. Maybe it's caused from the minerals in the water we clean the glass with. We're lucky if this is the only complaint with the stove.

Jim

Thanks. Will try some water on newspaper. I wasn't concerned about the newspaper scratching the window, but silica and other stuff in ash could. Very happy with the stove just on a learning curve in learning to fire efficiently. The idea about mineral content in moisture burning off wood sounds possible. Thanks.

yep, my oslo does the same, I only clean it off when I want to impress somebody with the look of the fire :)

I clean mine with water and a sponge, that's it.

That's a good day when I find only the white haze on the glass. It's what's on the glass after a day and night of slow burnin. I guess I can't complain, my wife doesn't mind keeping it going, just need to work on her air control. I to worry about scratching the glass. I don't use anything abrasive.

FYI. Fireview is what I use to clean it. Check out this store, neat stuff, a little pricey, get there catalog.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=1087

Tom

I use steel wool- Is that a bad thing? 8-/

Shoot we get black stuff in one corner real bad and my hubby uses a razor blade. lol :bug:

I think most front to back loaders will find the outgassing of the splits creates a whitish haze on the glass inside. It wipes off real easy with a nice wet, soft terry towel or rag.
I have been watching this with mine since I bought it, and noticed that the pattern follows how the splits are loaded in. No big deal, wipes off fairly easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.