Fuel line on an 029

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I have a stihl 029 super and it has developed a hole in the fuel line that comes out of the tank (fuel) . It comes up thru the bottom of the carb and seems to meander back towards the block. Does Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can repair this or does it have to go to a repair shop?
Thanks in advance
Mike

mtarbert said:
I have a stihl 029 super and it has developed a hole in the fuel line that comes out of the tank (fuel) . It comes up thru the bottom of the carb and seems to meander back towards the block. Does Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can repair this or does it have to go to a repair shop?
Thanks in advance
Mike

Mike if you put this up in the gear section I think you will get some answers or have the moderator move this.

zap

Get some new line, and re-plumb it. its either the supply or return line. prob have to pull carb/tear saw down some, just depends on how comfortable working on it you are. just remember that repair shops will charge more for a basket case repair than one that come in fully assembled if something goes wrong.

Assuming your 029 is similar to an MS290/310 fuel line replacement is not a big deal. Get the new fuel line and a new filter from you local dealer, should be around $20 or so IIRC. The fuel line is molded, you simply remove the old one and put in the new. Grab the end of the old line with a pair of pliers, pull the fuel filter through the cap opening and remove the filter from the line. There is a grommet molded into the line that presses into the fuel tank wall, carefully pry it out. You may have to loosen the carb to remove the line. Make sure you brush/blow the sawdust off to keep from dropping any in the engine. Install the new line in the reverse order, be careful when you insert the grommet at the fuel tank wall so you don't tear it or cause a leak. It's a fairly easy repair as long as you feel comfortable working on your saw.

My 310 was not idling right and then would not start at all. I went back to the dealer and it took the mechanic about 5 minutes to put in the new one. She runs great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.