Fuel tank vent line question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I have an ancient Stihl S10 (my best guess is circa 1968) that the vent line went disintegrated. I called several Stihl dealers and they couldn't even find a cross reference for it. I went to a dealer and they cut me a piece of fuel line and gave it to me (yes, GAVE it to me).

Here's my question: The vent line that was on the tank had a screw in it to, what I assume, control the air flow. This new vent line does not. Is this a problem?

I will say that it was easier to start than ever before and ran much better too.

Thanks!

FV

If you can't find a screw, you can stick a duckbill valve in the fuel line (outside tank side). The green old Poulan duckbills fit in a larger 1/8" ID fuel line.

What's the purpose of the screw?

What Fifelaker said....prevents fuel from flowing out. It's a one way valve - air comes in to replace volume of fuel that exits to the carb.

Oops, I missed his post.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.