Fujitsu mini split opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewGuy132

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Central MA
Anyone have any experience with the Fujitsu hyper heat heat pumps? We finally got a quote from a good installer that is within our price range and they want to install 3 Fujitsu multi zone hyper heats to 8 indoor units.

I think a lot of HVAC firms regard Fujitsu's as the same quality and reliability at Mitsubishi's. Mitsubishi has been at it for longer. There are other brandlike Midea that are probably good but regarded a bit lower. I find the Fujitsu dealer tend to be more minsplit oriented while Mitsubishi are larger dealers that carry multiple lines or techology. The local Fujitsu dealers tend to push their very cold weather operation, I think they come stock with pan heaters while its an option for Mitsubishi's.

I am less of a fan of multihead units due to early experiences with them. They are a lot more complex with more parts to break down.

Anyone have any experience with the Fujitsu hyper heat heat pumps? We finally got a quote from a good installer that is within our price range and they want to install 3 Fujitsu multi zone hyper heats to 8 indoor units.
Are you going to use these for AC too? I’ve been doing a lot of HVAC research. I’m not sure which name brand is as important as install. I would do almost anything to avoid a condensate pump. Know that cleaning the indoor units is not as simple as just vacuuming them out. And they really are not great dehumidifiers.

That aside when installed correctly they I have not heard much bad about Fujitsu. Is a ducted system not at all practical?

My Mitsubishi works fine for dehumidifying. I had a stand alone dehumidifier in the (finished) basement that I kept at 55 pct. I had to empty the 3 gallon bucket every day and a half.
The Mitsubishi keeps it at the same humidity without trouble. (I kept the stand alone unit on, at 60 pct, to kick in of the Mitsubishi would not be able to keep up. It never kicked in.)

3 multi zones with 8 heads? This setup is most likely ridiculously oversized for a typical New England home and will lead to terrible efficiency. Read this podcast with Dana Fischer who works for Mitsubishi in New England.

Reactions: Highbeam
3 multi zones with 8 heads? This setup is most likely ridiculously oversized for a typical New England home and will lead to terrible efficiency. Read this podcast with Dana Fischer who works for Mitsubishi in New England.

I don’t think you can make that statement without knowing equipment specs and house specs. Sized for heating three 18000 btu units would be reasonable.

been wiring them for about 4 years maybe 5 for a hvac contractor and only heard 2 things and that is the insulated line set had pin holes from the insulation around it so all around good running units but just had a unit go bad about 2 months ago it was the board and they had nothing for it so had to swap the whole unit out which the customer had to foot the whole bill. the unit was 11 years old

BTW, I would strongly suggest putting a high quality surge suppressor on any house including one that is getting mini splits installed. The Midnight Solar SPDs have a good reputation. Electronic control boards frequently are cooked by short term load surges that are heard to detect.

Reactions: EbS-P and fbelec

Or some kind of giant house with many levels and small rooms.

I was thinking that this has to be @Ashful s second house in MA

Not me! Besides, my systems are all Mitsubishi. They're not perfect, but they're pretty good, and I already know how to deal with their most common issues.

I will say I've seen mighty small Victorian era houses with 5-6 minisplit indoor units, so 11 in a mid-size or moderately large home is likely nothing unusual. It may be as dependent on how divided or open the space may be, as to the net square footage.

We have several in our neighborhood including a 2 head install at a close friend's house. They are very efficient and heat well in our climate. The only thing that has been serviced on my friend's is that a power surge during a big storm blew out the electronics many years ago. Surge protection was put in and it's been working great for about 10 years since.

it's not a requirement yet but the companies strongly say they want a surge unit on the outside disconnect. the one that most say they want is for outside use but in my opinion not as good as the ones that are mounted next to the inside service panel.

Not a huge house, but to get a $10k credit from the power company I have to cover every room. The house is about 3400 sq ft on 2 floors. 4 of them are for the bedrooms, 1 for the office above the garage, and 3 for the 1st floor.

I don’t think you can make that statement without knowing equipment specs and house specs. Sized for heating three 18000 btu units would be reasonable.

Or some kind of giant house with many levels and small rooms.

I think a lot of HVAC firms regard Fujitsu's as the same quality and reliability at Mitsubishi's. Mitsubishi has been at it for longer. There are other brandlike Midea that are probably good but regarded a bit lower. I find the Fujitsu dealer tend to be more minsplit oriented while Mitsubishi are larger dealers that carry multiple lines or techology. The local Fujitsu dealers tend to push their very cold weather operation, I think they come stock with pan heaters while its an option for Mitsubishi's.

I am less of a fan of multihead units due to early experiences with them. They are a lot more complex with more parts to break down.
This is going to supplement our oil heat. Basically the heat pumps will run until its around 20 or so outside then the oil will take over. So they aren't pushing for the ultra cold weather, because I'm not going to be using it then. We had a couple quotes to run vents to the 4 units upstairs and I liked that idea more, but it was in the end way more expensive.

Are you going to use these for AC too? I’ve been doing a lot of HVAC research. I’m not sure which name brand is as important as install. I would do almost anything to avoid a condensate pump. Know that cleaning the indoor units is not as simple as just vacuuming them out. And they really are not great dehumidifiers.

That aside when installed correctly they I have not heard much bad about Fujitsu. Is a ducted system not at all practical?
Yes for heat until it gets down to about 20 then the oil will take over then for AC in the summer. I took a look at cleaning the inside unit online, and I agree it looks like a pain in the ass, but it is what it is. As far as the AC goes we probably won't have it set to lower than say 75 all summer. Also assuming that they can just be run in fan mode, I'll use the one near my stove to push the heat around in winter.

Reactions: EbS-P
BTW, I would strongly suggest putting a high quality surge suppressor on any house including one that is getting mini splits installed. The Midnight Solar SPDs have a good reputation. Electronic control boards frequently are cooked by short term load surges that are heard to detect.

it's not a requirement yet but the companies strongly say they want a surge unit on the outside disconnect. the one that most say they want is for outside use but in my opinion not as good as the ones that are mounted next to the inside service panel.
I'll ask about surge suppressors. I live kind of in the woods and the power goes out a few times a year.

We have several in our neighborhood including a 2 head install at a close friend's house. They are very efficient and heat well in our climate. The only thing that has been serviced on my friend's is that a power surge during a big storm blew out the electronics many years ago. Surge protection was put in and it's been working great for about 10 years since.
This is good to hear. I'd imagine that in the past 10 years they have made some improvements too.

My oldest units were installed 2009, and still running fine in my old house, I hear. The oldest unit I have in this house is probably 2012 or 2013, and no issues. All Mitsubishi.

For cleaning, they make these antibiotic or antifungal pills that you put in the drip tray, to keep biology from growing in the drain line, which is the fatal flaw of all mini-splits. I've never used them myself, as each of my mini-splits is installed in a non-living space (dirty work shop used only on weekends, music studio used only 2-3 hours per week) where cooking and biology in the air aren't big factors, but I know others who swear by them.

I have had a clog in a drain line in my shop unit, surely a result of sawdust and not "biology", but which made me curse the installers for tee'ing the drains of two units together inside a wall. If you want to make your drain cleaning job as simple as connecting a shop vac to the outside drain and pulling it clean, then make sure they run independent drains to each unit. If not, you end up having to disassemble clean units to plug their lines, in order to pull sufficient vacuum flow thru the troublesome / clogged unit.

Reactions: EbS-P
I see this thread is from the Fall. OP we have had our Fujitsu mini split system going on five years now. As others have said Mitsubishi and Fujitsu are the top brands. We have a 4 zone 36,400 BTU condenser. We only use two zones a 24K BTU in the main floor which cools and heats 900 sq ft well. We have a 15K head upstairs. It does keep the 2nd floor cool in the summer. Our unit has XLTH extra low temperature heating rated to -15. It has a built in defrost pan. We have been happy with them but the heads should be serviced/cleaned since mold can grow in them. We did have the heads cleaned last summer and the upstairs had more buildup than the main floor. Both have individual drains to the outside. We also use them for heat in the shoulder season and the inverter technology makes them energy efficient.

Last edited:
They installed a Fujitsu in one of the offices at my work and that thing was constantly getting repaired. They eventually removed it and installed a Mitsubishi. Doesn't speak to the quality they're supposed to have.

They installed a Fujitsu in one of the offices at my work and that thing was constantly getting repaired. They eventually removed it and installed a Mitsubishi. Doesn't speak to the quality they're supposed to have.
Well like anything that has technology repairs can come up. My buddies Mitsubishi had a motherboard repair. Luckily it was still under warranty. So far 5 years no issues with our Fujitsu.

I've seen a few similar reports, re: circuit boards on Mitsu's and more mechanical stuff on the Fujitsu's. Pick your poison.

So far, no issues with any of my Mitsu's, but as with all things techie and electromechanical, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: Wildflush
As I have mentioned before, I have seen a lot of crappy installs even by so called pros. They usually mount the ground unit way to close to the ground directly under the drip line of the roof. I had a 5 ton commercial system at my last job project with those two issues. I added it to the punch list but they cut me loose before it was closed out. It was in central Mass but it still snows some years and it rains plenty. It was a the equivalent of 3 story Industrial building with large shallow pitch roof so lots of water gets dumped off the drip line. I see commercially installed units all the time buried completely with snow. Contrary to popular belief a Fujitsu pan heater is not going to melt a foot of snow very quickly especially when a plow pushes snow over it. I have seen units pushed almost off their bases by snow plowing. I know most facilities do not want them mounted on the walls due to potential for vibration. The contractors really do not care, they get paid to install them when new and fix them as they get old and its lot easier to just blame the equipment.

Also as mentioned before, put a quality surge suppressor with low clamp voltage on the panel (or subpanel if it is a large facility). Lots of dirty power comes in from the utility on occasion and adding distributed generation is not going to make it better. Even if the power is perfect coming in from the utility, plenty of opportunities for internal surges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
As I have mentioned before, I have seen a lot of crappy installs even by so called pros. They usually mount the ground unit way to close to the ground directly under the drip line of the roof. I had a 5 ton commercial system at my last job project with those two issues. I added it to the punch list but they cut me loose before it was closed out. It was in central Mass but it still snows some years and it rains plenty. It was a the equivalent of 3 story Industrial building with large shallow pitch roof so lots of water gets dumped off the drip line. I see commercially installed units all the time buried completely with snow. Contrary to popular belief a Fujitsu pan heater is not going to melt a foot of snow very quickly especially when a plow pushes snow over it. I have seen units pushed almost off their bases by snow plowing. I know most facilities do not want them mounted on the walls due to potential for vibration. The contractors really do not care, they get paid to install them when new and fix them as they get old and its lot easier to just blame the equipment.

Also as mentioned before, put a quality surge suppressor with low clamp voltage on the panel (or subpanel if it is a large facility). Lots of dirty power comes in from the utility on occasion and adding distributed generation is not going to make it better. Even if the power is perfect coming in from the utility, plenty of opportunities for internal surges.
Most home units including mine have the condenser located on the side of the house away from any drip line. My unit is easily over two feet away from the shingles. Quality contractors put them on stands on a pad so they are well off the ground. That is how my unit is installed. A foot of snow won’t effect anything. In the five years we had the unit, a few storms brought well over 30” of snow and never had a drip pan issue defrosting the unit. There is no way a foot of snow could even get in the drip pan because of the tight clearances of the condenser. What you need to do is shovel “around” the condenser which takes less that 10 min. to do. My contractor told me to this with heavy snow. I make a path with my snowblower to the unit and then shovel around it quite simple.

Not sure why a plow would push snow at an AC condenser. Everybody I know that has one would not be near a plow line since most units are installed on the side or back of a home. If it installed next to a driveway yes it could be an issue but I’ve never seen that install. Now I’m talking residential installs not commercial.

You make a good point about the surge suppressor since my electrician did not mention this. Will inquire about this.

Reactions: stoveliker