Fungus on a stacks . Any action required?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Have some fungus growing on unsplit but stacked rounds that waiting to be split . Put it on pallets last year . It was some fungus on a tree, I think it was sick. Can I / Should I spray anything to prevent it it from spreading . Also has some split oak that I see fungus on. Is there a remedy for that?

I had some on beech splits and sycamore splits. It was because they were in a location that had poor air circulation. I moved them to a better place and the fungus disappeared after a few days.

As long as the wood is wet fungus will grow
As soon as the wood drys the fungus will also dry up
Split it and use it

You need to split it as soon as you cut it. And stack it in an open place off the ground where air movement can get at it. Stacking in rounds especially for that long is asking for rot to do its thing - and it will, quickly.

Reactions: KC Matt and Jeffm1
Even if you just split it in half to stack it it's better than leaving them round. You are asking for a stack of rotted wood.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Got it guys . Some pictures

Attachments

• 5BCFFC50-9DCC-4114-891D-C18B11DA26EC.jpeg
    5BCFFC50-9DCC-4114-891D-C18B11DA26EC.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 5A7992E5-D4D4-4C3B-ABB4-3540E820E556.jpeg
    5A7992E5-D4D4-4C3B-ABB4-3540E820E556.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 226
Was that getting some sun and wind with the top covered?

No cover , north oriented . Some trees around

I’ve notice some fungus on split wood , not so much though , mostly upper splits . I think I made mistake of not top covering it . Went with theory that it is not necessary. Might not for some places . Not mine

I’ve notice some fungus on split wood , not so much though , mostly upper splits . I think I made mistake of not top covering it . Went with theory that it is not necessary. Might not for some places . Not mine
Gotta keep the weather off the wood. Sunshine and facing prevailing winds helps a great deal.

To me, the location and how it's stacked looks like the problem. At this point I'd split it and stack it so it gets maximum air and sun.

Reactions: Jeffm1
You don't have long! Split split then split some more. Chris cross stack it in an area with all day sun. Cover anytime its going to get wet. If you find punkey wood keep it dry.

Reactions: KC Matt and Jeffm1
Have some fungus growing on unsplit but stacked rounds that waiting to be split . Put it on pallets last year . It was some fungus on a tree, I think it was sick. Can I / Should I spray anything to prevent it it from spreading . Also has some split oak that I see fungus on. Is there a remedy for that?
Not to beat a dead horse but this just goes to show why it is so important to cut, split, stack. In that order. Then make sure it’s off the ground (pallets are one cheap easy way, you can usually find them in Craigslist for free) then give a year in an open, airy sunlit spot. Depending on your geography might want to top cover but not the sides. (Personally I don’t top cover but I do let it sit c/s/s in sun and wind for a year then move into a woodshed around sept./oct.) Fungus means it’s got moisture that is not drying off.Split it and dry it and it will still burn just fine. Dryness kills fungus.

That's beech, unless you get that split ASAP you're going to have nothing but punk very, very soon! Beech is terrible for rotting unless cut,split, and stacked...

Had some recently on half dead shag bark and some cherry that I split in September, piled on a pallet and threw a tarp over. Pretty sure moisture was coming up and getting trapped in the tarp. Got it all stacked properly last weekend.

That's beech, unless you get that split ASAP you're going to have nothing but punk very, very soon! Beech is terrible for rotting unless cut,split, and stacked...
Sure you aren’t thinking about birch?

Beech? Think I would have to disagree on that one. It's primo stuff, doesn't rot any faster than anything else here.

^^^Yes, BEECH. And it is good wood but you need to split.

Buddy of mine said beech tends to rot pretty quick unless split and stacked . . . figure he should know since his woodlot has a lot of beech and he has cut a lot of it over the years.

Reactions: nrford