Funny observation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
So, I was on my way to work today, and was noticing a lot of homes runnign their wood burners, that aren't usually. I was seeing thick smoke plumes from 1 in 2 houses. No big deal, this is our coldest day of the year so far, and lots of casual b urners will be running their stoves/fireplaces today. Lots of folks that don't burn clean, but if you have 3 fires a year, not such a big deal. I then notice an unusually tall, dark plume coming from a chimney a couple blocks down. I get to it, and *gasp*, it's the local fire department burning what must be either the worst wood in the neighborhood, or tires, with a thick gray plume exuding from the chimney, and not dispersing for at least 100 feet up.

The fire department, eh? That's a good one! But really, those guys are all about putting out fires and making them smolder as opposed to making them burn hot and clean! :) [Absolutely no offense meant to these guys who I hold in the highest respect!]

But I suppose as sure as a power outage brings a couple deaths from CO poisoning, the cold weather will bring a couple house fires sparked off by improper burning. I had an old teacher who always used to say..."This town is out of the EPA clean air standards exactly one day a year" Then he would ask the class to guess which day. The correct answer was "Christmas... when everyone lights up the obligatory once a year fire in the fireplace"

Training exercise?

man, i know a fireman who burns ONLY fresh wood.
says "in the manual it says its better to burn green wood".... thats what he tells everyone.... that, and he can never get it up to a hot temp.. but thats the stoves fault!?!

his insert is NEW this year, and thinks he knows more about fire then everyone.

some people are born stupid.
some people are born stubborn.
but when a person is born with both attributes, no one can help them.

on this note, my neighbor's stove cranks out some serious thick, heavy smoke. I have no idea what the deal is, but he's been heating with that for at least 5 years. His puts out more smoke than mine plus the 4 other houses nearby combined. I've always wanted to ask him what the deal was but I don't want to insult him.

moondoggy said:
To quote Stephen Vizinczey, "Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it.". My experience working around educated professionals seem to bear this out.

Most of those chimneys you saw smoking away were probably oil burners. I know my oil burner had a nice plume of smoke/steam coming out of it this morning when I left. Kind of how you could see everyones exhaust from their car this morning.

Fire department burning... did you call 911?

Backpack09 said:
Most of those chimneys you saw smoking away were probably oil burners. I know my oil burner had a nice plume of smoke/steam coming out of it this morning when I left. Kind of how you could see everyones exhaust from their car this morning.

Fire department burning... did you call 911?

I suspect you're right . . . and I also suspect that the fire station utilizes an oil, NG or propane boiler or furnace since I have yet to see any firehouse with a woodstove in it (not that there isn't one out there somewhere. . . .) and if I had to guess I would say it was an oil boiler/furnace that is in desperate need of a tune-up/servicing.

moondoggy said:
man, i know a fireman who burns ONLY fresh wood.
says "in the manual it says its better to burn green wood".... thats what he tells everyone.... that, and he can never get it up to a hot temp.. but thats the stoves fault!?!

his insert is NEW this year, and thinks he knows more about fire then everyone.

No offense, but I think you need to let that firefighter know about hearth.com as he clearly needs some re-education about proper and safe burning techniques . . . and I can honestly say I have never, ever heard of anyone recommending burning unseasoned wood. I think it's time he read up a bit on proper burning techniques . . . from the NFPA, DEP, Hearth.com, wood insert manufacturer, etc.

On the flip side, at least that guy has a great excuse for getting together with his buddies . . . for the monthly or bi-monthly chimney fire at his home. :) ;)

I suppose they could have been oil burners, but these were masonry chimneys, mostly central to the house. They looked like wood to me, but I could be wrong. My area has a LOT of wood burners, as it's a pretty rural community.

Status
Not open for further replies.