Funny Thought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wkpoor said:
. Your location has more pavement than dirt I'm guessing hehehe.

I am about 40 miles out of NYC, far enough that there is more dirt than pavement. There is even a farm about 5 miles from me that produces beef, pork, lamb, poultry, various vegetables. A couple apple orchards too! But, yes, it is suburbia, and not the best place to go tractor shopping. At least it is suburbia from 40 or 50 years ago so it isn't all sprawl and developments. It feels sort of like the country, but is still about an hour from the greatest city on earth and the jobs and wealth that come with it. Another 40 miles out of town and it starts to get kinda rural.

I go for quantity, not quality. I like to have one of everything when it comes to gear. It doesn't have to be the best for me, I just want to be able to say "yeah, I have one of those". Doesn't matter what the hobby or sport or interest, I like to have STUFF.

One of the main reasons I even burn wood is so that I have an excuse to have a truck and play with chainsaws and own all the equipment associated with it. I'm pretty sure I don't save any money by doing it, lol.

Danno77 said:
I go for quantity, not quality. I like to have one of everything when it comes to gear. It doesn't have to be the best for me, I just want to be able to say "yeah, I have one of those". Doesn't matter what the hobby or sport or interest, I like to have STUFF.

One of the main reasons I even burn wood is so that I have an excuse to have a truck and play with chainsaws and own all the equipment associated with it. I'm pretty sure I don't save any money by doing it, lol.

I agree, if I ever sell everything thats when my return will be in....Dont see that happening any time soon. I have paid for my 880 with cash so that one has paid off! (file to big for that address)

I try for quality and not quantity. While I may not have the most expensive or most powerful saw collection, they are both relatively high quality machines made by a reputable company. I almost never buy the cheapest, nor do go for the most expensive, but I do believe that you really do get what you pay for.

Flatbedford said:
I try for quality and not quantity. While I may not have the most expensive or most powerful saw collection, they are both relatively high quality machines made by a reputable company. I almost never buy the cheapest, nor do go for the most expensive, but I do believe that you really do get what you pay for.

There is some sweeet deals out there right now wish I had the money to jump on a few. Times are tough and I am just making sure I keep my stuff well maintaine right now. Got the jd running better than new and the lawn going to explode here in a couple days. 4 way areation and 400lbs of fert 6 lbs per 1000 sf and a ton of rain. Just hope the little jd can make it.

The best way to get quality stuff is to get it second hand. Often cheaper than the cheap stuff is when new and you can be pretty sure it will be with you for a while.

I have some nice pro saws, but I don't have an OWB or even an insert--just a big indoor fireplace and the outdoor firepit. I guess I need to buy a low end stove to fit in, LOL!

Danno77 said:

A friend of mine reminds me all the time that burning wood isn't much of a payback for me with my equipment investment. I realize it would take 30 yrs to amortize it all but maybe I'll be in better shape for it all and thats priceless.

wkpoor said:
A friend of mine reminds me all the time that burning wood isn't much of a payback for me with my equipment investment. I realize it would take 30 yrs to amortize it all but maybe I'll be in better shape for it all and thats priceless.

I kinda feel the same way. Also, there's not much that's more satisfying than living directly off the fruits of your own labor.

Flatbedford said:
The best way to get quality stuff is to get it second hand. Often cheaper than the cheap stuff is when new and you can be pretty sure it will be with you for a while.
+a billion on that.

TreePointer said:
I have some nice pro saws, but I don't have an OWB or even an insert--just a big indoor fireplace and the outdoor firepit. I guess I need to buy a low end stove to fit in, LOL!

Nope just keep the fire place blazing!

Over the past 20+ yrs I've invested close to 50K on commercial-grade woodworking machinery,hand tools both new & antique & related stuff for my shop.Took most of that time using the money I earned from working overtime & doing side jobs for cash to finally pay it all off.Now hopefully I wont be too worn out to continue doing that as a 2nd income when I retire in about 15 yrs lol

Danno77 said:
Flatbedford said:
+a billion on that.
I've commented before on that in a different way. I've got some pretty nice hot rod saws that cost me way less than homeowner saws. Just need to know the right people and where to look.

wkpoor said:
Danno77 said:
Flatbedford said:
+a billion on that.
I've commented before on that in a different way. I've got some pretty nice hot rod saws that cost me way less than homeowner saws. Just need to know the right people and where to look.

Yup. Or just be lucky.

TreePointer said:
I know people who's hobby is fast saws and they don't have need to cut firewood for any reason. They don't even own a fireplace, stove, or outdoor pit.

I guess I am one of those bozos with a Stihl290 and a stone stove.

The stove was under 2000 new and I spent the extra money on it because I use it every day for 9 months out of the year. It sits in my living room where I have to look at it, and I just like nice things. You didn't pick the ugly girl to marry did you? If the stove was in a basement or shop then I might consider a cheap steel stove since only utility is important there.

The saw is leaps and bounds above the big box stuff, costs four times as much as my previous new big box Poulan saws, and does a great job with a 20" bar. I use it to cut a cord at a time. I will cut about 6 cords per year so that means I will run the saw 6 days and then it sits for the rest of the year. While resting, the saw has a freshly sharpened chain on it and fluids filled for emergencies.

I guess I don't understand the problem.

Highbeam said:

The stove was under 2000 new and I spent the extra money on it because I use it every day for 9 months out of the year. It sits in my living room where I have to look at it, and I just like nice things. You didn't pick the ugly girl to marry did you? If the stove was in a basement or shop then I might consider a cheap steel stove since only utility is important there.

The saw is leaps and bounds above the big box stuff, costs four times as much as my previous new big box Poulan saws, and does a great job with a 20" bar. I use it to cut a cord at a time. I will cut about 6 cords per year so that means I will run the saw 6 days and then it sits for the rest of the year. While resting, the saw has a freshly sharpened chain on it and fluids filled for emergencies.

290 no sissy saw!

Highbeam said:

Me too. I don't have the same stove, but it cost about the same. I bought the 029 in 1996 with my father's insurance money to remove a fallen tree on his property. I took ownership of it in '03 when I bought my house. I have always been happy with it. If it ever dies, I will replace it with an upgrade, only if it dies.

The 290 is a good saw (I have one myself). Just never put your hands on a 361/362 and you'll continue to be happy.

TreePointer said:
The 290 is a good saw (I have one myself). Just never put your hands on a 361/362 and you'll continue to be happy.

Try a 441/460/660/880.....Then set back and watch someone else stack! lol

TreePointer said:

Works for me. If I can get one of those for the same price I paid for the 029, I will upgrade in a heartbeat. A few hundred to replace a saw that does everything I ask of it works against the whole "free" heat thing.

Highbeam said:

No problem, its just you fit the mould I'm takin about. And there is nothing wrong with that either! Its just all in what we are into as individuals.
Top grade stove, homeowner saw. Now if you had said you have a MS361 then thats a different story. Nothing wrong with a 290, but if thats your idea of cuttin sun of a gun then you haven't had your hands on a pro saw. And I don't really think the stock 361 is all that much. Don't get me wrong I could own one and be happy but in comparison its just so, so for me.

It is sort of like the fellows (and I have many friends who are into it) who like the big tractors and go to every tractor pull in the county and sometimes all within the state. If that is what turns them on, why not? Go for it! It is your dollars and you need some enjoyment. However, I just don't like to see someone trying to put down people like Highbeam who has a great philosophy and the right tools for his job. And what about those fellows who happen to live in town or in a subdivision. Should they also own a nice tractor and a huge saw when they burn a cord or two of wood each year?

There is the key; the right tools for the job. If your idea is to win some contest, then go big for sure! Or if you want to do some cutting commercially (which I have done), then by all means get the right tool for the job. But in no way would I use the saws I used for logging when I'm not just cutting firewood. I am also a bit limited in what saws I can handle, thanks to an injury.

Do your thing, but don't try to build yourself up or run someone else down by scoffing at the tools they use. Do not forget, everyone has their own unique situation and have had different experiences.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is sort of like the fellows (and I have many friends who are into it) who like the big tractors and go to every tractor pull in the county and sometimes all within the state. If that is what turns them on, why not? Go for it! It is your dollars and you need some enjoyment. However, I just don't like to see someone trying to put down people like Highbeam who has a great philosophy and the right tools for his job. And what about those fellows who happen to live in town or in a subdivision. Should they also own a nice tractor and a huge saw when they burn a cord or two of wood each year?

There is the key; the right tools for the job. If your idea is to win some contest, then go big for sure! Or if you want to do some cutting commercially (which I have done), then by all means get the right tool for the job. But in no way would I use the saws I used for logging when I'm not just cutting firewood. I am also a bit limited in what saws I can handle, thanks to an injury.

Do your thing, but don't try to build yourself up or run someone else down by scoffing at the tools they use. Do not forget, everyone has their own unique situation and have had different experiences.

Agree Nothing wrong at all with a 290! They are a tank that just flat out cut for years with no problems at all. 290,310,390 are not a home owner saw. They are in the farm class because the are a tough saw. Nothing cheep about them.

Hearing about that 361 is enough to make me puke! lol Wonder why those guys didnt buy a 441,460,660,880. Many many great saws out there and if you have an epa 2000.00 stove 290 is an over kill. 4 cords a year is a cake walk! Wished I had that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.