Furnace problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Dec 9, 2010
IL
My furnace started working intermittently. Sometimes would fire after 10 tries. Called the furnace guy and he came by yesterday while I was at work, replaced a part, charged me $250 and said it was fixed. Last night I could hear the furnace come on and fire but started to short cycle. After 1/2 hour of that I had to look. Only two of the burners are firing on either side of the ignitor and the flame is orange and All over the place. Called furnace guy this AM but he lost my ticket and won't be by now. I've attached a pic. Any ideas????

Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 130
My furnace started working intermittently. Sometimes would fire after 10 tries. Called the furnace guy and he came by yesterday while I was at work, replaced a part, charged me $250 and said it was fixed. Last night I could hear the furnace come on and fire but started to short cycle. After 1/2 hour of that I had to look. Only two of the burners are firing on either side of the ignitor and the flame is orange and All over the place. Called furnace guy this AM but he lost my ticket and won't be by now. I've attached a pic. Any ideas????

Matt
I've got nothing to offer here other than that you should check http://hvac-talk.com
There are probably some folks here with some ideas. Maybe they'll chime in.

Matt

Had a similar problem a few years ago. The fresh air intake for the furnace (outside the house) was pulling fine snow into the intake and causing it to plug enough for the furnace to short cycle. Check to make sure that pipe is clear.

Furnace repairman never made it back.......I hope my trusty stove can do the job tonight. Worried about the pipes in my crawl space.

Matt

I'd bet your gas meter has frozen up outside. Easy to fix..
1. Make sure it is physically free of snow and ice. If it doesn't seem like its buried or encased, then go to step 2.
2. Pour hot water (not boiling) over the meter and it will thaw. You'll need a gallon or two.. just normal hot water from your shower will do.

After its fixed
1. call your gas company and tell them to replace the meter.
2. Put post on this forum letting everyone know what a great guy I am for telling you how to fix it! (LOL)

frozen meter sounds good. what was the temp outside while this is happening. if not frozen is anybody on your street having the same problem? i've seen a whole street have a pressure problem so that only half the street could get gas at one time not the whole street. if not you may need a gas valve. have the hvac guy put a manometer on your valve to check your pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.