Fusion Blended Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
Picked up some bags of these pellets while in Northern NY, as my TSC brand pellets are crappy.. Seem to be OK, blended hardwood/softwood, made in Canada by Lauzon, company also makes other brands such as Cubex, Northern Max, etc.. pellets sizing seems consistent, not very dusty , good heat output.
1648845172948.png

How are the pellets as far as size? Are they cut fairly short so that longer pellets don't create potential auger jams?

How are the pellets as far as size? Are they cut fairly short so that longer pellets don't create potential auger jams?
They are 1/2 to 3/4 in long

I've used both the Fusion Blend and Fusion Hardwoods (both gotten off CL - only place I've seen them). The blend weren't as hot as the hardwood. They also left a gritty ash, which was different, but not "bad". My notes from the spreadsheet I keep.

fusion pellet notes for upload.JPG

As a comparison, LaCrete SW burn at 300* for me (temp taken from the air flowing out of the distribution ducts via oven thermometer - all temps taken with feed rate at 3). Fireside Platinums (SW) burned at about 275 also.

That 325 for the Fusion HW's (what I show as rebagged Cubex) is the highest temp I've ever had - disclaimer, I did not measure regular Cubex or Hamers when I had them many years ago).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again if the price was right (I don't usually need big heat, so only buy better pellets on the secondary market).

I've used both the Fusion Blend and Fusion Hardwoods (both gotten off CL - only place I've seen them). The blend weren't as hot as the hardwood. They also left a gritty ash, which was different, but not "bad". My notes from the spreadsheet I keep.

View attachment 294530

As a comparison, LaCrete SW burn at 300* for me (temp taken from the air flowing out of the distribution ducts via oven thermometer - all temps taken with feed rate at 3). Fireside Platinums (SW) burned at about 275 also.

That 325 for the Fusion HW's (what I show as rebagged Cubex) is the highest temp I've ever had - disclaimer, I did not measure regular Cubex or Hamers when I had them many years ago).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again if the price was right (I don't usually need big heat, so only buy better pellets on the secondary market).
Did you perhaps misspeak? Your spreadsheet appears to show the blended Fusions as burning hotter as I would expect. I'm just about to start burning some blended ones which brought me to this post.

Thanks for a confirmation one way or another.

Hugh

Did you perhaps misspeak? Your spreadsheet appears to show the blended Fusions as burning hotter as I would expect. I'm just about to start burning some blended ones which brought me to this post.

Thanks for a confirmation one way or another.

Hugh

Well, my eyes must have crossed because you are right - the Blend burned hotter than the HW ;em

Reactions: SciGuy
Well, my eyes must have crossed because you are right - the Blend burned hotter than the HW ;em
Thanks!!! I figured it was just a brain fart but wanted to confirm. I'm just getting into my first bag today. They were my least expensive option and I was hoping they'd be decent.

Reactions: bogieb
Thanks!!! I figured it was just a brain fart but wanted to confirm. I'm just getting into my first bag today. They were my least expensive option and I was hoping they'd be decent.
Here's me brief update regarding these pellets after a few days of usage. I'm finding they're very nice in terms of low ash creation and good heat output compared to the Okanagan Platinum 100% softwoods I had been burning. They also seem to create much less of the classic Harman "speed bump" that so many pellet types build quickly. I'm really enjoying them.