Future Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Depending on the weather I might head up top this weekend, I'm either cutting this Maple or some Pine that has been down for shoulder season wood. The rounds in the picures have been split & stacked for this coming heating season.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1076.jpg
    100_1076.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 100_1077.jpg
    100_1077.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 306
How will you approach this? I have similar accessible with the jeep, and was thinking of winching it from the bottom to bring down the leaner. Nice that your going after all the pine these days. I too am eager to give it a try next year.

I actually notch the top of the tree then undercut it, I keep doing that until it comes out of the tree or I can winch it with the Rhino. It should have back pressure so watch yourself. Get the book To Fell A Tree, that is where I took the info from.

zap

Thx zap will do. I am certainly no expert yet. Down stuff no problem, I have done some leaners, but they were alittle sketchy, and have felled a couple w/o incident. I have some rounds that I pick at, but haven't had time for any serious cutting. I plan on bucking a standing dead that just fell a few days ago, I guess from the wind. Enjoy your next outing and be safe.

Backwoods, a member from this site suggested the book to me over a year ago, tons of info. Most of what I cut is blow down so I consider myself a novice on felling trees or leaners.

zap

zapny said:
I actually notch the top of the tree then undercut it, I keep doing that until it comes out of the tree or I can winch it with the Rhino. It should have back pressure so watch yourself. Get the book To Fell A Tree, that is where I took the info from.

zap
That's the textbook way to do it. My one buddy had a huge locust snagged in another and that is what I showed him. I actually take it one step further....I walk the length of the tree and mark each section with my saw so I know how when I notch and under cut, I will have uniform billets. He did the tree as I described and it went smoothly. The big thing is to check, recheck, and double=recheck what you are going to do because you can never be too careful......and you should definately have a buddy with ya on jobs like that just in case something goes wrong.

Tis textbook but I never notch them. Just cut until it is about ready to pinch and get the saw out and then undercut. I usually take it in about 4' sections. It is also important to determine where that tree wants to go as you take it down. Always cut to make a weak point on the opposite side you are standing on. Always!

Status
Not open for further replies.