FWIW Pellets At Walmart Locally 4.89 / Bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Chazy, NY 12921
Thats locally here in Plattsburgh NY but at least they got some. Thats a mere $195 / ton so some of you pellet burners should grab as many as you can when they get them locally. I know most of us hate Walmart and China but remember one thing, those pellets are made either here or Canada. I don't know the brand but any I ever got from Wallyworld or Sammy's Club were always excellent pellets and gave me no problems. One thing about buying at those places is you will probably have to load your own which will tend to weed out the lame and lazy folks which will give you a chance to buy some. The down side with both of those places is that when they are out they restock sporadically at best so there is little second chance. Buy Now Buy Early or prepare to get ***** all over again this year!!!!!!!!!!!

Driz that's great news for the pellet stove industry. If $200 a ton was consistant dealers will sell more stoves so while Harry has a huge supply he will surely need to get more for, atleast Walmart can help him sell stoves

Sorry, that's actually $244.50 per ton (plus tax). There are normally 50 bags with 40 pounds in each to make up a ton. Unless they are selling 50 pound bags (which I haven't seen) your price is wrong.
Still beats $2.65 a gallon oil though.

Due to shipping cost my price for pellets is now
$265.00

The least expensive ones I've found here are Heartland pellets 3.65 per bag. 182.50 per ton. I talked with the mill this year, looking into carrying pellets perhaps next season and they told me that they had actually cut off alot of customers but since Sutherlands got their order in early they were guaranteed 4 truckloads per week. Last year they were getting two I believe. So it seems that pellet supply might be looking up a little bit, but there is still the possibility for shortages. I have contacted West Oregon Wood products to inquire about costs of their pellets as well. What pellets to you sell Rod?

Damned calculator its all the computer's fault. I always said I was the only guy in history to get a Masters Degree and flunk 9th grade algebra. Surely there is some dead guy to blame it on, let me ask my buddy George Bush; he would know what to do................................................................ Who cares anyways I burrn corn anyways unless the convenience suits me which it hasn't for the past couple years. Bad math is just another reason to buy a multifuel stove. I am outta here, tail between legs.

Which raises the question of corn at Wal-Mart. Are the bags of deer corn they sell every year any good for the pellet stove guys?

Sorry, that’s actually $244.50 per ton (plus tax). There are normally 50 bags with 40 pounds in each to make up a ton. Unless they are selling 50 pound bags (which I haven’t seen) your price is wrong.
Still beats $2.65 a gallon oil though.

Tax on pellets?? Where I live it is illegal to tax home heating fuel and we get taxed on everything!

Where I live they have sales tax on food.

You bring up a good point
Im going to check with the Tax board

Just checked
In califorina
Waste By Product for heating is only tax excempt for Ag or Industial use.

LPG is excempt if it is your PRIMARY residence. NOT at second home.
and has to be in a tank larger than 50 gallons.

elkimmeg said:
Driz that's great news for the pellet stove industry. If $200 a ton was consistant dealers will sell more stoves so while Harry has a huge supply he will surely need to get more for, atleast Walmart can help him sell stoves

heh....im not worried...Walmart is a very small player in the pellet business. A truck is like 22-26 tons, and as someone above said, lazy folks arent gonna go there and load up.....nor can you count on their supply. Time will tell, I guess. $200/ton is well below my cost, and since I wish to make money, ill not play that loss-leader game. And in MA, we are supposedly getting the notax holiday coming up....last year we sold 43 stoves on those two days....lets see what this year brings...I dont think as many, but you never know.....

Hey heres one for you Walmart lovers. My wife just told me that good old wallyworld is pulling out of Germany and S. Korea while in Spain they couldn't even get set up. The can't meet the labor laws in these places. It's nice to know there are plenty of poor slobs desperate enough to work for them right here in the USA. Its too bad in a way as Germany doesn't seem to have an abundance of large stores like that even in the major cities as far as I know. Come to think of it I never saw pellets in the one near where my wife is from. I will have to take a look and see where they buy theirs and how much they are.

Yea the Home Deperate runs out of pellets in november here every year... and then the phone starts ringing off the hook.

Ditto
Homedepot, Lowes, Wallmart and other big box stores do not order any after feb 15th
People come 100 miles away to get pellet from us in Feb and March.

Driz said:
Hey heres one for you Walmart lovers. My wife just told me that good old wallyworld is pulling out of Germany and S. Korea while in Spain they couldn't even get set up. The can't meet the labor laws in these places. It's nice to know there are plenty of poor slobs desperate enough to work for them right here in the USA. Its too bad in a way as Germany doesn't seem to have an abundance of large stores like that even in the major cities as far as I know. Come to think of it I never saw pellets in the one near where my wife is from. I will have to take a look and see where they buy theirs and how much they are.

Interesting since after six years they pulled out of Germany because deep discount stores had been a way of life there so long that they couldn't get any traction. They got their butt kicked in Korea a while back.

I don't know much about up north but never saw too much in the line of big discount stores in Bavaria and I have either lived or been in and out of there since 1978. Never saw much in the line of big box places at all, not even Wallyworld. The only Wallyworld I went to was in a small town called Murnau which isn't far from Munich and thats a real small store. Strangely the only huge stores in Bavaria seem to be Garden places . You can buy about anything in those places as the Krauts just love thier shrubs and ponds. Munich and Augsburg seem to be made up mostly of Department stores like we had in the 50's and 60's before the malls took over. One thing I noticed at the Wallyworld in Murnau is a distinct absence of cheap Chinese electronics and such. They appear to prefer cheaper European and Japanese goodies.
One thing you will start seeing there is Chrysler cars since theri merger with Daimler. Also they surely will be sporting those tiny neck snapping turbodiesels that will get 40 MPG. Don't look for such vehicles over here because you and me aren't allowed. Tell me why we can't seem to make a 2 Liter diesel that will go 130 MPH and easily squack the tires.

We can make a 2 liter diesel that will go 130 mph and squawk the tires, my understanding is that those cars simply do not pass our crash test safety standards. VW Golf for instance.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Yea the Home Deperate runs out of pellets in november here every year... and then the phone starts ringing off the hook.

yea, and the best part is, I call Home Despot, Wallyworld, and Low's when they run out, and give them my number and address, and they actually refer folks to ME! bwahahahah! Then, I get their addresses, phone numbers, etc, and send them my spring mailer! I try to saturate the market long before HD, Lowe's, and Wallyworld ever even GET their pellets......

Those safety standards are apples and oranges. Their cars don't crumple up worse than ours do for the most part. In many ways they are better. I did see a VW Rabbit that hit a MAN beer truck head on once and it sure was flat. I doubt the family Caddy would have fared much better though. I wsa always amazed how those little cars 25 years ago held up when I used to pull people out of them for a living and they are lots better today. What I don't lile is how they have that 2 year inspection that prompts folks to sell the car or scrap it rather than fix it. It really does go too far. Hell one hammer tap through the bottom from rust and you have to throw away a perfectly good car.

Status
Not open for further replies.