Galvanized Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjmac1235

Nov 28, 2018
Upstate NY
Just bought a 1972 colonial with 2 fireplaces. One is standard masonry with ceramic tile lining. The other is a masonry fireplace but with old Wood burning insert but when I climbed in attack it opens up to just be what appears to be a galvanized pipe. Maybe 12-18 inches wide.
Is this safe to burn wood? Can I line it with insulated 6” chimney pipe and connect a wood stove?
I have never seen something like this in a older home.
Thanks.

Just bought a 1972 colonial with 2 fireplaces. One is standard masonry with ceramic tile lining. The other is a masonry fireplace but with old Wood burning insert but when I climbed in attack it opens up to just be what appears to be a galvanized pipe. Maybe 12-18 inches wide.
Is this safe to burn wood? Can I line it with insulated 6” chimney pipe and connect a wood stove?
I have never seen something like this in a older home.
Thanks.
There is no way for us to know what you have without some detailed pics

Sounds like one fireplace is a zero-clearance.

I will post a pic shortly. It appears to be a prefabbed masonry Fireplace and as soon as it hits the crawl space in attic it’s just an exposed galvanized chimney pipe that goes out roof to a masonry chimney.

3634D595-430F-4ACD-A68E-65B198F9D0DF.jpeg
I have to take a pic of attic. But can’t get into house for a few days. Here is a pic of fireplace. I thought I could just remove that old insert and have a regular masonry fireplace to do whatever I want. Wood stove. Wood insert etc.

But as soon as you go in the crawl space above that room all that there is a pipe that goes out roof. On top of roof you have a brick chimney. appears to be a prefabbedchimney? Any idea what my options are? Wood love to get a proper wood stove in that room.
Thanks

Is the interior of the fireplace all metal?

I will have to check next week when I get access to the house again. From what I remember, I think it was firebrick and had a spring loaded flute and pull down chain.

Sounds like an early zero-clearance fireplace. Why the wide hearth with the offset fireplace location? Does the other chimney run up the large blank area to the left of the fireplace?

Good question. I think it’s a run for HVAC. I have to check. That would suck if it is. Cause I won’t be able to rip that whole thing out. Ideally I would rip the whole thing out and put a free standing wood stove or even a freestanding gas stove.

It may take drilling a peephole or two if not evident from below or above.

I won’t be able to get in house for a week to check and take pics. But for conversation sake, let’s say its a ZC prefab. And behind that brick facade is a chase that goes up to the ceiling to crawl space/attic where it’s just a pipe out the roof. On roof you have a masonry chimney (pic below).

what would be my least expensive option?Gas freestanding or wood freestanding? I have gas close by. Would need to run electrical which is easy.

I will not do an insert. Already installed one on old house and wasn’t impressed at all with heat. Plus I like the look of freestanding stove. Wood prefer wood. But clearances all have to be figured out. If I am ripping everything out (including that wood floor) then I pretty much have a blank slate for freestanding stove.

Looking for least expensive/least work. I will be doing the work myself and am looking at Jotul wood or gas freestanding.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 5AF0E1FB-D33C-4D11-B1C5-2B667F1E829F.jpeg
    5AF0E1FB-D33C-4D11-B1C5-2B667F1E829F.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 90
I'm not sure that is a full masonry chimney. It might just be brick veneer.

What is the objective for all this work? Supplemental heat, ambiance, emergency heat? For sure wood is more work to process and feed the stove, etc. A gas stove is an appliance that one turns on or off. Some will even work on a thermostat.

Sorry. Should have been more clear. I was talking about the work/labor to install. And which would be less work and expense. I have installed a wood burning insert before with stainless insulated pipe in existing masonry chimney but have never demoed a prefab and installed a freestanding wood or gas stove before.

i imagine wood would be the easiest to install once I get everything demoed? New pipe right up current chase?

Fire place is to be primarily used for supplemental heat and ambiance.

Simplest option might be to build out a hearth pad for a freestander on the floor in front of the current hearth and rear-exit from a stove to a tee and an insulated liner.