galvanized metal for a blockoff plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TANKER

Dec 30, 2017
Mooreland IN
any reason why I shouldn't use galvanized metal for a blockoff plate? I had an inspection done by a chimney sweep today before I install my new insert and ss liner,all was good but he said I shouldn't use galvanized due to fumes.I think I'm good to go with it.What say you

any reason why I shouldn't use galvanized metal for a blockoff plate? I had an inspection done by a chimney sweep today before I install my new insert and ss liner,all was good but he said I shouldn't use galvanized due to fumes.I think I'm good to go with it.What say you
It is fine the plate wont get hot enough to off gass

thank you,I thought that it would be good
You might put a couple coats of stove paint on it as well. That's my plan. Don't know that it matters, but I'm leaving the surround off, so I want it black.

I just installed one in my Fireplace, and I heavily insulated it. The plate barely gets warm, galvanized is fine. What did the sweep suggest using instead?

Attachments

• galvanized metal for a blockoff plate
    6FF2F3E3-72ED-4A4B-9899-D34B6B58765D.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000