Gap at liner and stove top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adamh3844

Nov 6, 2023
Carlisle Pa
Hello, I use the fire place at my home a lot and decided a wood stove insert would be best. I purchased flexible liner with insulation and cap and all. The stove is an older insert that has a rectangle exhaust top connection.
I installed the liner and adapter for rectangle stove exhaust to circular liner. Where the liner is suppos to attach to the stove there is roughly a 1” gap as the stove doesn’t sit far enough back for it to line up perfectly. I am already roughly 2000$ into the install and tested the stove with no exhaust leak into the room or at the top of the chimney. How severe is it if the chimney liner and stove are not air tight at the stove exhaust? It has a strong upward draft through the liner and The insert is sealed around the opening of the fireplace.
Thanks for any advice

There should be no gap between the liner and the stove. If you can post some pictures we can see if there is a good solution.

Reactions: adamh3844
Your worry is not it leaking smoke, your worry is it sucking air, which it will do. It will cause the temp to rise drastically

Reactions: adamh3844
Your worry is not it leaking smoke, your worry is it sucking air, which it will do. It will cause the temp to rise drastically
You mean fall correct?

It will cool the flue gases and weaken the draft, increasing the chances of creosote condensation in the liner.

Reactions: bholler