Garage floor protector ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
I’m so glad this forum exists! Especially when I’m stumped!

I have a 2017 Polaris 570 Sportsman. Just put chains on it and the plow for the year.

Only place I have to store it is in the garage. The problem I noticed is just moving it in and out the chains scratch the crap out of the concrete.

I need some ideas on what I can use to protect the floor?

Thanks in advance!

I’m so glad this forum exists! Especially when I’m stumped!

I have a 2017 Polaris 570 Sportsman. Just put chains on it and the plow for the year.

Only place I have to store it is in the garage. The problem I noticed is just moving it in and out the chains scratch the crap out of the concrete.

I need some ideas on what I can use to protect the floor?

Thanks in advance!

I use horse stall mats. Cut them in half.

You're rubbing metal on a concrete or epoxy floor. It's going to leave a mark.
Can't you just put the chains on outside the garage? Or maybe a couple of rug runners from the door to the parking area?

You're rubbing metal on a concrete or epoxy floor. It's going to leave a mark.
Can't you just put the chains on outside the garage? Or maybe a couple of rug runners from the door to the parking area?

I like to put chains on one time a year and leave them. Everything I do in the winter on the atv requires chains and I plow almost daily with it. Also need chains to get path plowed to when I’m cutting firewood on my property in the winter.

I thought about those rubber garage floor liners but they seem like they would be destroyed in a hurry.

I’m sure someone has come up with a solution for this over the years?

I use horse stall mats. Cut them in half.

I saw this after my reply above. I will look into the horse mats. Do they hold up pretty well?

Find some heavy coveyor belting or you could use some thick plywood

Reactions: Doc C
Get a piece of 3/8 sheathing and one of those mats you put under rugs to stop them sliding. Cut up the mat and put it under the plywood. Done in $20. Every time the plywood starts curling up, flip it over.

You could go thicker on the plywood but I don't think you need to. If you want it to last a few years, paint it on all sides before using (the water is gonna kill it, not the chains).

I saw this after my reply above. I will look into the horse mats. Do they hold up pretty well?
We used them to prevent shrapnel from coming back to the shooters at the gun club on the indoor range. They lasted for many, many thousands of rounds of all calibers.

I just make sure to spill any combination of oil, grease, paint, or stain to blend any new scratches into the old floor![emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TreePointer
If you have a local quarry go ask if they have any conveyer belt scraps. They're usually happy to get rid of them for nothing. The stuff is heavy, and it's miserable to cut, but it's almost indestructible.